Chuchería

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Ghetto Fishing


Ok, so this is in the textbook we use in my Spanish 3 class.Thursday afternoon, I am blithely trying to teach my students the new "beach" vocabulary. You know- towel, wave, shore, sand, shell, etc... The book is accompanied by nice photos that are labelled with the new words. We're doing well until we reach exhibit C. I say "clase, repitan: el pescador", anticipating their usual half-hearted repetition of the word I just modeled for them. Instead, I get "Mrs. T- how he fishin without no pole?" I hadn't really thought about it, not having examined all the pictures that closely. I was going to go into some lame-o explanation about that must be how some of the fisherman do it in Puerto Rico, but was beaten to the punch by C - "Oh, that's ghetto fishin". I lost it- I got a RAGING case of the giggles, which of course fueled their fire-leading into the question of what he is holding in his other hand and what kind of fish one catches while ghetto fishing. Is there such thing as a gangsta fish? The kids told me there is actually a dogfish, but that could be urban legend. THEN we watched the accompanying video that featured el pescador swinging his line over his head like a cowboy. We HAD to rewind it and watch it again. It was better than Mystery Science Theater- TRULY. My Inner Priss was just shaking her head. Sometimes I stray far from the path of being a Model of Appropriate Behavior. (and is it ever fun.)
Lesson Plans for that day? Totally shot. Sometimes, ya just gotta go with the flow.

2 Comments:

Blogger betteh said...

This IS a fish. Dogfish is a nickname for the Bowfin (Amia calva). It can also be called a mudfish, swamp bass or grindle. Their range includes Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana. They can get up to 21 lbs.

5/01/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

OMG. YOU are hilarious. You win. I am so glad you posted on my blog, because your students take the cake. Gangsta fish!?! Outstanding.

5/05/2006 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home