Chuchería

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ah, Youth

This is one of the reasons why I do love working with my students:
Yesterday in my 4th block class, which is at the end of the day, I was nattering away about something- feeling the gravitational pull of summer almost as strongly as the kids. I posed the obligatory question: "Does anyone have any questions?" (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?- sometimes I actually say that) And this adorable girl(and by adorable, I mean that she is smart, funny, nicely self confident, a great student) shoots her hand in the air "Oooh! I have one! Ok, I know it doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about? But this weekend? We were driving home from Chicago? And we got stuck in traffic? I don't understand how you can be stuck still in traffic when everyone wants to be moving. " What do I say to that? I hate to crush her spirit with a lame "I dunno." , or equally as crushing, "You're right, K, that had NOTHING to do with what we're talking about."
I think we just ended up grinning at each other- hers saying "I know that was really slightly disruptive, but I just had to get it out of my system", and mine saying "I'm too tired to come up with a clever answer, but I really don't mind that kind of disruption sometimes, because you guys are just too sweet."
I know that's not as funny as my snark, but I really do have sweet students. It's graduation time- June 11 is the day and I'm getting invitations to some of the seniors' graduation parties. There are a few kids who I've known since they were in 6th grade, since I switched schools just 3 years ago. So, I'm feeling kind of schmaltzy about them growing up right about now. They're like, almost grownups! And what does that make ME? Like, almost middle-aged! Not that there's anything wrong with being middle aged, just, where did the time go?

1 Comments:

Blogger Mister Teacher said...

I think it's really funny that you say, "Bueller... Bueller..."
Sometimes when I'm frustrated with my students for not responding to a question, I hold my overhead marker in front of my mouth, tap on the end of it, and ask, "Is this thing on?"
Most of them usually don't get it, but if I can't amuse myself, who is going to?

5/26/2006 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home