Chuchería

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Book Meme

Just BOLD those you’ve read, ITALICIZE the ones you’ve been meaning to read and ??? the ones you have never heard of. (And of course I made other comments.)Leave them alone if you’ve heard of them, but not been meaning to read them

Alcott, Louisa May–Little Women (loved the movie. I love the IDEA of this book and the story…)
Allende, Isabel–The House of Spirits (I love her)
Angelou, Maya–I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (I read this when I was way too young…)
Atwood, Margaret–Cat’s Eye (A fabulous read, although not for the faint of heart)
Austen, Jane–Emma (Did you know the movie Clueless is loosely based on this book?)
Bambara, Toni Cade–Salt Eaters???
Barnes, Djuna–Nightwood ???
de Beauvoir, Simone–The Second Sex (I actually owned a copy of this along with my subscription to MS magazine.)
Blume, Judy–Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret. (What girl who grew up in the 80’s DIDN’T read this? I’d like to know.)
Burnett, Frances–The Secret Garden (Love the Frances Coppola movie, though.)
Bronte, Charlotte–Jane Eyre (not so much a fan of the Brontes....)
Bronte, Emily–Wuthering Heights
Buck, Pearl S.–The Good Earth
Byatt, A.S.–Possession???
Cather, Willa–My Antonia (This is a fabulous book! She is great!)
Christie, Agatha–Murder on the Orient Express (When I was a kid- and remember the made for tv movie???)
Cisneros, Sandra–The House on Mango Street (This is a great read- maybe even for a mother-daughter book group)
Clinton, Hillary Rodham–Living History (I love ya, Hill, but I really don’t want to spend time reading your book)
Cooper, Anna Julia–A Voice From the South ???
Danticat, Edwidge–Breath, Eyes, Memory???
Davis, Angela–Women, Culture, and Politics???
Desai, Anita–Clear Light of Day???
Dickinson, Emily–Collected Poems (Did you know that you can sing all of Emily Dickinson’s poems to the tune of “Gilligan’s Island”? I learned that while on maternity leave and listening to “Connections” on public radio. I don’t know if that makes me really smart, or a complete bonehead.)
Duncan, Lois–I Know What You Did Last Summer (read others by her)
DuMaurier, Daphne–Rebecca (For some reason, I keep combining the author’s name with Rebecca de Mornay, of “love on a real train”/Tom Cruise fame)
Eliot, George–Middlemarch
Emecheta, Buchi–Second Class Citizen ??
Erdrich, Louise–Tracks
Esquivel, Laura–Like Water for Chocolate (And love, love, love the movie!! Magic-realism rocks.)
Flagg, Fannie–Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café (I love me some Fannie Flagg- all of her books. Plus, that woman from The West Wing starred in the movie.)
Friedan, Betty–The Feminine Mystique (For YEARS had my mother’s tattered, hot-pink paperback copy.)
Frank, Anne–Diary of a Young Girl (LOVED this book as a teen- prompted me to keep a diary that had a name)
Gilman, Charlotte Perkins–The Yellow Wallpaper
Gordimer, Nadine–July’s People ?? (have read JUMP! by her)
Grafton, Sue–S is for Silence???
Hamilton, Edith–Mythology
Highsmith, Patricia–The Talented Mr. Ripley
Hooks, Bell–Bone Black ??
Hurston, Zora Neale–Dust Tracks on the Road
Jacobs, Harriet–Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl ??
Jackson, Helen Hunt–Ramona
Jackson, Shirley–The Haunting of Hill House ???
Jong, Erica–Fear of Flying (I remember hearing her name more when I was a kid. )
Keene, Carolyn–The Nancy Drew Mysteries (Used to pretend I WAS Nancy Drew)
Kidd, Sue Monk–The Secret Life of Bees (LOVE this book)
Kincaid, Jamaica–Lucy (She came to the Quad Cities last year as part of a Resident Artist/Writer event)
Kingsolver, Barbara–The Poisonwood Bible (One of the BEST books EVER)
Kingston, Maxine Hong–The Woman Warrior???
Larsen, Nella–Passing ???
L’Engle, Madeleine–A Wrinkle in Time (Read it in 5th grade. Did not fully appreciate it.)
Le Guin, Ursula K.–The Left Hand of Darkness (Love the title, though)
Lee, Harper–To Kill a Mockingbird (Great book, great movie. Atticus Finch should be our president.)
Lessing, Doris–The Golden Notebook
Lively, Penelope–Moon Tiger (I remember very little about this book, though.)
Lorde, Audre–The Cancer Journals ???
Martin, Ann M.–The Babysitters Club Series
McCullers, Carson–The Member of the Wedding (They are the “we” of me….- great book)
McMillan, Terry–Disappearing Acts
Markandaya, Kamala–Nectar in a Sieve???
Marshall, Paule–Brown Girl, Brownstones ???
Mitchell, Margaret–Gone with the Wind (Truthfully, I don’t think I’ve ever even seen the entire movie in one sitting.)
Montgomery, Lucy–Anne of Green Gables (The whole series- my favorite as a kid- my “summer” books)
Morgan, Joan–When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost ???
Morrison, Toni–Song of Solomon (I can’t get into her)
Murasaki, Lady Shikibu–The Tale of Genji???
Munro, Alice–Lives of Girls and Women
Murdoch, Iris–Severed Head ??
Naylor, Gloria–Mama Day (The Women of Brewster Place was pretty good.)
Niffenegger, Audrey–The Time Traveller’s Wife (Book Club is reading sometime this year…)
Oates, Joyce Carol–We Were the Mulvaneys
O’Connor, Flannery–A Good Man is Hard to Find(was it Dorothy Parker who asked the OTHER question?)
Piercy, Marge–Woman on the Edge of Time (have read others by her. )
Picoult, Jodi–My Sister’s Keeper (I keep meaning to read her stuff)
Plath, Sylvia–The Bell Jar (Scary to think how much is autobiographical)
Porter, Katharine Anne–Ship of Fools
Proulx, E. Annie–The Shipping News (I loved the vehicle of language in this book. Didn’t win a Pulitzer for nuttin’)
Rand, Ayn–The Fountainhead (Had several friends get into this- I tried to read it, but found her to be oppressive.)
Ray, Rachel–365: No Repeats (I watch her on the Food Network, does that count?)
Rhys, Jean–Wide Sargasso Sea
Robinson, Marilynne–Housekeeping (read Gilead, though. Interesting)
Rocha, Sharon–For Laci ???
Sebold, Alice–The Lovely Bones (A beautifully written, albeit disturbing book)
Shelley, Mary–Frankenstein
Smith, Betty–A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (THIS is my all-time favorite book. So many things from it have shaped how I think about life- especially the part about throwing out the coffee.)
Smith, Zadie–White Teeth (Have On Beauty on my nightstand)
Spark, Muriel–The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (I read this right around the time the movie Mona Lisa Smile came out. I get them confused.)
Spyri, Johanna–Heidi (Vividly remember the part about her wanting to touch a glacier and totally not relating….)
Strout, Elizabeth–Amy and Isabelle ???
Steel, Danielle–The House (Embarrassed to say I have read others by her, though not in the last 20 years.)
Tan, Amy–The Joy Luck Club (I love everything she writes. I found it difficult to keep all the Chinese names straight in this one, however.)
Tannen, Deborah–You’re Wearing That (I am a HUGE Deborah Tannen fan. She is so awesome.)
Ulrich, Laurel–A Midwife’s Tale ???
Urquhart, Jane–Away ???
Walker, Alice–The Temple of My Familiar (Read this while in Mexico- a good read. I think I liked The Color Purple better.)
Welty, Eudora–One Writer’s Beginnings (I am more a fan of Eudora Welty the person and not so much into her work, although I have read a fair amount of it. Her photography is now on display at the Figge Art Museum here in the QCA.)
Wharton, Edith–Age of Innocence
Wilder, Laura Ingalls–Little House in the Big Woods
(These books TOTALLY influenced my childhood.)
Wollstonecraft, Mary–A Vindication of the Rights of Women (heard of her, just not the book)
Woolf, Virginia–A Room of One’s Own (I think I read To the Lighthouse- again, I love the IDEA of Virginia Wolf)

7 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Excellent! Gives me some insight on some of the ??? or unread books from my list.

I still think I AM Nancy Drew sometimes when I am investigating a case of potential plagarism in my classroom. Or if the stapler/ pencil sharpener/ scotch tap is missing. It's real life skills we're talking about here!

I noticed that you like Landvik, too. I thought it was too bad she wasn't on the list. I adore those kind of quirky, small town, real life stories.

I'll have to remember the Dickinson and Gilligan's Island thing. I couldn't wait to sing "A Narrow Fellow in the Grass" to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas" to my juniors every year. They were hardly impressed--and some of didn't even know the tune I was singing anyway. I'm sure you understand the need to entertain yourself in the classroom, though. We seem to be on the same wavelength on many things!

5/27/2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

You might want to try House on Mango Street with your students- it's a series of vingettes, too short to be short stories, even. I don't know what the socio-economic specs are at your school, but we have like 75% on free/reduced lunch, and a significant Latino population in our community, although not in my school. My students really like this book-even the boys.

5/27/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Actually, I did use House on Mango Street--parts of it since I didn't have a classroom set--this year. My students enjoyed the vignettes very much and wrote nice pieces that were inspired by Mango Street. The new chair, who also teaches 8th grade, is working on getting classroom sets.

I teach mostly within an magnet (IB), which is housed within an inner city school. Some of my students are bussed from all over the county, but I'd say that still at least 50% are Latino. In the rest of the school, it has to be close to 90%. Last year, before teaching accelerated/magnet, out of 130 students only 15 WEREN'T Latino.

Our school qualifies for 100% free lunch--I think because of a grant and the high percentage of those who do apply. (All I know is that ALL students may eat for free. Twice a day.)

Plus, there is a huge multicultural focus in our district, and especially within our school I'm always looking for good, relevant, interesting material. I'll take suggestions anytime!

5/28/2006 7:46 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

I always think I'm fairly well read until I see this book meme. And then . . . sigh . . . no, I'm just another dumb blonde who went to a state school.

5/29/2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Wait - WAIT - I spoke too soon! I got disgusted with myself too quickly and just hit the Comments link. I have read Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Women - it was an assignment for one of my master's courses - feminism in education (or something.) It was ten years ago. Hooray! I'm not a natural blonde!

5/29/2006 9:19 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

If this is a list of books to be read, may I humbly submit Learn Me Good, available at http://www.lulu.com/misterteacher
Okay, feel free to come over to my blog and blatantly plug away now...
:)

5/30/2006 11:58 PM  
Blogger richbitch1111 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/26/2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home