Chuchería

Monday, May 08, 2006

It's Gettin' Hot in Here!

I have several stacks of papers to grade, but find that to be tear-jerkingly boring and tedious, so here I am again.
Today in Spanish 3 we were working our way through the chapter, reviewing reflexive verbs and their accompanying pronouns and where to place aforementioned pronouns, when I came across something that made me question the authors of our textbook- AGAIN. It was one of those controlled practices where they bascically ask and answer the same thing only with different subjects and verbs. A rough translation:

Q: What are you going to do first? Wash your hair or comb your hair?
A: I'm going to wash my hair first.

Right, fine, very benign. Then we get to :

Q: What are you guys going to do first? Go to bed or take off your clothes?

Now, really. This book was written for middle and high school students. Go to bed and take off your clothes? In the same sentence? Was this written by a roomfull of hormone- free eunuchs who have forgotten the plight of the American high schooler coming down off of a weekend full of Prom? We in the trenches, who never have student s open up to page 69- always 68 or 70, would never think of writing such guffaw-inducing material for our students. Between that and the daily announcements read over the PA - looking for hookers for the rugby team, I am completely ineffective. My Inner Priss? She's got her face all pinched up and is breathing in and out of a paper bag. She'll be all right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Teacher lady said...

I love your textbook. And isn't blogging the BEST when it comes to avoiding grading papers? Who knew? And although you'd never guess it based on my occupation, I totally have an inner priss.

5/17/2006 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home