Chuchería

Monday, June 12, 2006

6 hours of My Life I'll Never Get Back

Well, it's officially my first day of Summer and I spent all day at a "class", and I use that term VERY loosely. In Iowa we have to have 6 hours of college credit every 5 years in order to renew our teaching license. This "class" fulfills 1 hour- it meets 3 times from 8am to 3:30pm. It is mind numbingly boring. It is called "Closing the Achievement Gap" which loosely translates to : "Our Minority Students and Those on Free and Reduced Lunch are Testing Lower on the ITBS Than Non Minority and Wealthier Students What are You the Teacher Going to Do About It?" We were presented with a model from which to "design" our lessons (Understanding By Design). I HATE educational jargon. Hate. It. Plus, most of what I was fed today really will not apply well to the Spanish classroom. We were told not to "front load" our teaching so much (this means lecture). Yeah. They lectured most of the day. We were told that "worksheets are the evil enemy". Yeah. They gave us about 6- 3 of which were collected to prove we put in our time. Not to mention that in my subject area, worksheets can actually help students learn certain concepts like object pronouns and demonstrative adjectives. Argh. The good parts are: 1. I get to take the class with my good friend and colleague, C & S's Mom, 2. We get to go OUT to lunch, and 3. We are actually getting paid by the hour to attend. I know, crazy. But, believe me, all the money in the world didn't prevent me from wanting to drown myself in my coffee at about 10:00 this morning. I sincerely hope my own students don't feel this way in my class. I'm sure they do.

3 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Hahahaha! I know you've read my posts about in-services. This kind of training falls under that category. I have two coming up myself--one for some IB/Magnet stuff and the other is a 6-hour training on a computer-based writing program we used last year and will, of course, have to use next year. Seriously--6 hours?!?!?! I get paid, though. And it scores me some brownie points with admin. Never know when you might need those...Most importantly, though. I get paid...

No, MOST IMPORTANTLY, Happy Summer!

6/12/2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Whoa!!
Mrs. T., perhaps we should be very afraid, because clearly there is some kind of mindwave manipulation going on here. I just posted today about continuing education classes that I was having to take this summer. Then I come on here, and read a very similar post from you!
Spooky...

6/12/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger liberalbanana said...

I get to take classes every once in a while for my job and have taken several recently. The instructor always seems to be high on life and makes everyone sit AT THE FRONT OF THE CLASSROOM. This highly annoys me. I need to start showing up late (screw checking my email before class!) so that the other suckers fill up the front row first!

The best part is the hour-long lunch and in the case of the last class I took, free muffins before class and free COOKIES during our mid-afternoon break! Free food rocks!!!

6/13/2006 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home