Chuchería

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

#!*~?>%*&^%$#!!

The girls attend our neighborhood's Catholic school. Parents are strongly encouraged to give of their "time, talent, and treasure" to be more committed to the school and church community. Since I am a teacher, I don't have much "treasure", but I do have a bit of time and what can be passed off as "talent", so I am a Brownie leader for Claire's troop. Let me tell you, being involved with Girl Scouts (or Boy Scouts, 4-H, whatever) is a lot of work! Parents might complain about paying dues, but they have no clue as to how much of leaders' own money is spent for projects, etc. Plus, leaders have to PAY to do it!

Not to leave Lydia in the dust, I also volunteer my time to her Daisy (pre-Brownie) troop. I don't do any of the planning, just help out at meetings. Last week we met at a local park- it was a perfect evening, we had a little cookout, the girls sponge-painted t-shirts. We were having a group discussion about "being a sister to every Girl Scout", which is part of the GS Law. We were discussing what that meant to us and then some of the girls started giving examples of how they had been dissed (my word, not theirs) by other kids. We also talked about "being responsible for what I say and do", which is another part of the GS Law. One little girl, who is usually about 2 steps behind everyone else, raised her hand. Here's what she had to offer:

"Sometimes my dad says cuss words at my mom when they're having 'scussions."

If I'd have been drinking milk, it woulda come out my nose. Thankfully, years of teaching have given me the gift of the non-reaction. "Really? Sometimes grownups do that, huh? Anyone else?"

And for the record, I am not worried that this child has to endure her foul-mouthed dad 'scussing with her mom on a regular basis. I'm sure my husband and I have our own 'scussions, although we try not to "say cuss words at each other" when the kids are within earshot. And believe me, I am pretty salty, so it's hard for me to hold back sometimes.

10 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Are your sure a salty-mouthed teacher is the right influence for precious little Brownies and Daisies? LOL

6/28/2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Hell yeah. :)

6/28/2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Funny story. I have to wrok very hard to limit my vocabulary for my teenage students. When my daughter came along, I realized I had to limit it even further.

That's very tough for those of us who savor the art of 'scussions.

6/28/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger harpo the dog said...

I have a hard time believing you two get into scussions with cuss words, lol. I did not realize how often I said the "f" word in relation to the dog till the 5 year old started saying it too, oops.

6/28/2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger E. said...

Hey, if the 'scussions never lead to concussions, I think the cuss words can stay.

6/28/2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

One of my students got in trouble one time for cussing out another kid, and I had him sit down with a piece of paper and write down exactly what he said. This is what I got back:
"I told her to shout the fouk up."
That quickly became a favorite phrase among the teachers...

6/29/2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Maybe I have a weird take on this, but my first reaction was sadness. My ex-husband liked to use "cuss words" too. And it wasn't pretty. Do her parents seem like relatively decent people? Or are we looking at a potential "The Burning Bed" situation?

6/30/2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I can see why you would have that reaction. But, rest assured, no "Burning Bed"- more like a normal marriage, where parents "discuss" and don't always have their "filter" turned on.

7/02/2006 5:39 PM  
Blogger Schoolhouse Drama said...

Hi Mrs. T,

In case you missed it, we featured your blog at School Me! the LA Times' education blog. We had readers nominate their favorite teacher blogs for our "teablog awards" and found your page. Your mention (and award) are over here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/schoolme/2006/06/school_mes_cove_2.html

cheers,
Janine Kahn, School Me! staff

7/03/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Mr. French said...

Great story! I am just now catching up on your blog. It's a real pleasure to read. By the way, your French is just fine!

7/07/2006 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home