Chuchería

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson

So, last week I'm sitting with the other moms at the girls' swimming lessons. They take lessons at someone's home, so we all sit poolside and chat while our kids learn how not to drown. You could hear the buzz of lawnmowers in air, the chirping of birds. You could smell that pool smell- the warm wood of the deck, the chlorine, Coppertone, a faint smell of flowers- and, unfortunately, dog poop. Pretty soon, a new smell entered. It became stronger, so much that one of the moms bravely, and quietly asked "Does anyone else smell pot?" I don't know these women that well- this was one of those situations where you have to be very careful how you answer. Too quickly and too eagerly, you're all of a sudden like, Stoner Mom. Too naive and clueless, you become June Cleaver. We all got the giggles, then- imagining our conversations in the car after the lesson. "Hey, are you kids hungry? Do you like want to go to McDonalds? Mommy's got the munchies..."
We were then trying to figure out who it might be. We figured it was probably some kid whose parents were at work- just figured he'd wake and bake for the summer. Or maybe someone hired to do lawncare in the neighborhood, taking a break.

To add to the excitement, all the moms had a brief Mrs. Robinson moment- one of the students in the class has a "manny" (male nanny). He is European- we could tell that even before he opened his mouth, and no, it wasn't because he was wearing a Speedo. It had more to do with the green socks worn with the athletic shoes. But, I digress. He looks Greek or Italian, speaks with an accent and has the. buffest. arms. How much more Desperate Housewives can I possibly be?

Off topic, but a quick question: should my soon to be 3rd grader be playing Truth or Dare with the neighborhood kids at the park? Cuz, I think she shouldn't, but then again, I have an Inner Priss. Let me know what you think.

8 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Truth or dare?

It depends, really, how they play the game (no pun intended).

Probably the worst dare, at that age, is to eat a bug. But if it were my kid, I'd look into it.

6/22/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

God, I don't know but I'd sure like to hear the answers you get. My Girlie is a soon to be 2d grader so the game must lurk in her future. And, uhm, where do I get me one of those mannies?

6/22/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Well, I will admit that I have led a sheltered life (at least until I started teaching at a public school), but I never played Truth or Dare until I was oh, around... 27.

6/22/2006 11:21 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Yeah, I think not. Truth or dare is for college. It's just a lot more fun when alcohol is involved. (Just kidding.)

6/23/2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger harpo the dog said...

I am not sure I would be comfortable with her playing truth or dare. What age are the other kids that she is playing with? If they are older, I dont think that would be ok with me. But I would check into it too.

6/23/2006 5:38 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Yeah, like if she's playing with college sophomores -- you should pull the plug on that real quick...

6/23/2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Teacher Lady, you are not either kidding. It's way way more fun when alcohol is involved.
But not in 3rd grade.

6/23/2006 6:58 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Did she tell you what some of the truths or dares were? I'd think it might be pretty innocent, but if there are, say 5th graders there, it could alredy be pretty risky. BTW, you're lucky I wasn't with you at the pool, or I'd be truth or daring you on the manny. Hehehehe!

6/23/2006 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home