Chuchería

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Humans: 4; Animals: 3


3 more days with students and one last bullshit day- oh, I mean "contract day". I can do this, although under great duress. Tomorrow and Tues. were supposed to be finals days, but we had a snow day for which we must now pay. All of this would be alright, except for the fact that all of us are just fried!

In other news, we have changed the animal to human ratio in our household. When it was just us, my husband and I had just a kitty. Until January, we've had 4 humans to 1 animal. That changed when we acquired another kitty, Shirley (her rap name is "Lil' Shirl"). So we've still been in the lead. My older daughter has been begging for a pet of her own- of the rodent variety-eek. I told her "no way." I told her "enjoy the rodents at OTHER people's homes". I told her "Mushy will eat it." I convinced her to go the turtle route, thinking I could handle a turtle- they're cute, we could name it something fun like Yertle or Sheldon. Then I started doing some research, finding out that the red-eared sliders live for like 25-30 years, that they are rather messy, that they need a huge tank wiht a "basking light" and on and on. It was going to set us back several hundred dollars to house a $16 turtle. So, I caved. While walking around Petco with Claire, looking at tanks for the turtle, our conversation went something like this:

Me: You're SURE you want a turtle?
Claire: YEEES.
Me: You know you won't be able to pick it up or anything. And they bite. And they're really messy. They smell.
Claire: But I really want a pet!
Me: But are you sure you want a turtle?
Claire: No, the only reason I want a turtle is because you suggested it after you said I couldn't have a hamster.
Me: How about we look at the hamsters?
Claire: REALLY?!!! This is the best day of my life! I love you I love you I love you....

I truly wish I had had the cajones to take a picture of the Petco guy, because he was like a Jim Carrey character. He was ALL excited about the rodents- when Claire picked out the little gray hamster she wanted, he kept saying things like, "Oh, yeah, you've got yourself a good one- see how she's coming over to say hi? Look, right in the tube - yep, she's a good one." I was like Dude, seriously, we are picking out a damn hamster that will live for 2 years, tops. We are not picking out racehorses, here. Then he went on and on about the type of "bedding" to put in its cage, even going so far as to place palm upon chest (his, not mine) and confide "That's what I use for my rats- and I've got 8 of 'em and you'd never know it." Eww. Ewww. Ewww.

So, now we've got Molly- and still keeping ahead of the animals- 4:3. I know you're all jealous.

1 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Ew! Uh, I'm not at all jealous. She is kind of cute, though.

6/04/2006 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home