Chuchería

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A little bit of This, A little bit of That

I am getting too old to start any sort of communication with the hyper "Guesswhatguesswhatguesswhat?"- (although, if I were a dog, I'm sure I'd be of the Jack Russell terrier variety, and they act like that well into old age) So, guess what??? For my birthday at the end of the month, my husband and I are going to see THE Paul Simon in Milwaukee. It's actually on July 1, my birthday's on June 30, but that's ok. I was suckled on Simon and Garfunkel- listened to Paul all through college- saw him at the Target Center in Minneapolis on the Rythm of the Saints tour. I am sooo excited. I just love him- he's such a cute little Jewish man. If we were to have a son, I wanted to name him Simon and at one point considered Paul for the middle name- to which my husband said "uh, no." So, we get to go and have a little get away weekend- just like grown ups.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In our local paper today, one of the headlines in the sports section was "Amputees Really Get Into the Swing of THings." The hell??? I had to double check to make sure I wasn't reading The Onion . Did anyone actually think about how ridiculous that sounded? Of course, Politically Incorrect Me kept rearing her ugly head, creating an inner dialogue something like this:
PIM: "The SWING of things??? As in prosthetic arm swaying back and forth?"
PCMe: "SHHHH! That is so tacky-just shut up!"
PIM: "Come on! That's pretty damn funny! Do they mean they were BEING swung?"
PCMe: "Could you be any more insensitive? What if that were YOU?"
I am reminded of a disaster simulation drill my MIL had to do while working at the hospital. She had to play the role of one Eileen Stump. Seriously! How funny is that? It's like those no arms and legs jokes... (in the mailbox=Bill, in a pile of leaves=Russell, on the wall=Art, in the pool=Bob.. I got a million of them)

Ok, that's not much of a dialogue, but I DID think it was funny. I'm tres, tres tacky sometimes, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am taking a group of students to Spain next summer. I had scheduled a parent meeting tonight after school that I had pretty much spaced off, thinking no one was really going to come. WRONG. I had like 30 people show up- I was totally unprepared, not enough handouts, very surprised at the turnout. I have become very adept at the art of winging it, so the meeting ended up being fine- mostly it was Q nd A anyway. If we end up with a big enough group, my husband might be able to go, too, since he is a licensed teacher. (he's not a teacher anymore-he's been in "recovery" for about 6 years.)How cool would that be?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've purchased Season 1 of the Gilmore Girls on DVD (on sale at Target last month- $22-what a bargain) and have been treating myself to an episode a night for the past couple of weeks. For those of you who are not fans, give them a chance. It is such a joy for me to watch- I want to live in Stars Hollow. I want to buy coffee from a quirky diner every morning. I want to go where everybody knows my name.. oops, wrong show, sorry. Does anyone else love love love Rory and Lorelei????

3 Comments:

Blogger zygote daddy said...

For a pregnant d.w., there is nothing quite so devestating as forgetting to set the Tivo for 7:00 on Tuesdays...

6/07/2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I LOVE Paul Simon. LOVE. My mom used to sing Cecelia to me when I was a little girl. It's probably my favorite song. Probably.

6/09/2006 8:16 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Love the Gilmore!

6/11/2006 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home