Chuchería

Saturday, June 24, 2006

My Little Town

Last night I was reminded of why I live where I do. I KNOW. It's Iowa. Mountains? We have none. Ocean? Have you looked at a map? But, where I live, we do have the Mississippi. It's big, it's muddy (really), it floods (REALLY) and when they are working on any of the bridges, it's a big pain in the ass in bi-state communities like mine. We don't have traffic like LA or Chicago, or even Hartford, for that matter. But, being stuck in bridge traffic sucks. Nothing like being stuck way up high, water below, and nowhere to go. Can you say "Xanax"?

When I was a kid, I wanted nothing to do with this place, wanting instead to move somewhere "exciting"- I wanted more of a big city atmosphere. That lasted until I had my first child. I was all set to go to graduate school in New Mexico- SOUTHERN New Mexico, and I just freaked out. I couldn't stand the thought of uprooting and finding someone to take care of my new baby, making new friends, etc. So, here we are. Most of our families live here or at least close to here, so we don't have to spend precious vacation time (not everyone gets the summer off, I know, I know) coming back here.
I know that where I live isn't typical Iowa- our community is shared with the neighboring Illinois cities, for one thing, and it's also a little bigger than your average Iowa town. One thing we are lucky to have this summer is free live music every Friday evening downtown- there's a nice courtyard right by some nice restaurants and easy access to the skybridge
. Last night we went with the girls, got some pizza, then moseyed over to the music, where we were met with the pleasant surprise of hearing these guys. We ran into people we know (and like), it was family friendly. I feel so lucky- because to go downtown is nothing. It's 5 minutes from our house, on street parking is free, in the ramp is a whopping $2 for the whole evening.

Tonight, we are going here to see some performance art thing, barge dancers or some such. That is, unless we get rained out, which looks like it might just happen.

If anyone's curious here's some more info on where I live.

3 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Thanks for a glimpse into your little piece of Iowa. It sounds just wonderful. It doesn't sound that small to me (but then LV is the biggest place I've lived, and it's not that big), but you did describe some nice small town qualities. Outdoor events near water with greenery nearby--OMG! Keep enjoying the peace of summer!

6/24/2006 5:46 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

You're very lucky to have such a great community. There's far too little of that in this country nowadays, and way too many of us seem to mistake Bill O'Reilly for a family member.

6/25/2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger Feral Mom said...

I grew up in Iowa. And I love the Mississippi. Thanks for this post.

6/29/2006 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home