Chuchería

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Goodbye to the Summer

Back. To. School.

The beginning of a new school year is full of mixed emotions for me. I feel excited about starting fresh- implementing new ideas, a list of "THIS year, I'm gonna/not gonna"s, meeting a brand new group of students. Even if I have some returning students, it's still a new mix of people. I love the smell of a school at the beginning of the year- all squeaky clean from a summer full of waxing and dusting and deep-cleansing. I'm a school-supply junkie. I stock up on crayons and markers and glue and have a great time doing it. I anxiously await the first glimpse of autumn- the first tinges of yellow and orange on certain maple trees, the kiss of frost in the air, the first evening where it's cool enough for a fire and a pot of chili.

And yet, it brings some sadness, as well. One more summer over. The girls are now both officially "big kids". This is the time in four years that I have neither a pre-schooler nor a kindergartener. We are at a crossroads. Lydia lost both of her front teeth yesterday morning, which makes her look incredibly cute. But, I remember when she grew those things! And in a few short months, her permanent teeth will come in, bringing her 2 teeth closer to growing up, her smile will never be the same.

Kids all across the country nervously anticipate their first day of school. Who'll be in their class? Will they have any friends? Will the teacher be nice? What will the cafeteria situation be like? What to wear? Their stomachs are tied up in knots as they try to fall asleep at a reasonable hour, knowing that morning will come all too quickly.

The funny thing is, that teachers are nervous too. Will I wake up in time? Will I get a parking place? Will my students be nice? What to wear? Will my own children get off to school all right? My stomach is tied up in knots. I will TRY to fall asleep soon, as I know that morning will come all too quickly.

Wish us luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Of course we wish you luck.

But we don't think you're gonna need it.

8/28/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger MsAbcMom said...

How was the first day? Have you read the book First Day Jitters? This post reminded me of that. If you haven't, you should!

Glad that I stopped by your blog!
-Kelly

8/28/2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Hope you had a great day! I get nervous, too. It is about the silliest thing. I'm so excited and hopeful that it's going to be a good year that I can barely breath!

8/28/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

I was nervous the first day only because the cafeteria served burritos...

8/29/2006 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home