Chuchería

Monday, August 21, 2006

Let's Get it Started Again

Well, it's that time again. For those of you non-teacher types, I know: Boo-freaking hoo. But for the teachers- you all understand. The dreaded "inservicing" we must endure before the students arrive. Usually I go in a few days before I'm actually required to (FYI- this means I'm going in for FREE, since it's not a contract day) and unpack my boxes of stuff that I had to load up at the end of the year so they can take stuff out of the room to clean it. This year, I just went in a day ahead (today), girls in tow, Barbie DVD in hand. I got a lot of "stupid" work done- put the Spanish teacher Barbie on my computer cart (the joke is that if I'm absent, she's my sub.), take the crap out of my desk drawers, print class lists. Speaking of which, does it make any sense that my 1st block class has 7 students in it, while my 3rd has 29 and my 4th has 28? They are all Spanish 4. I hate tiny classes and the one with 29? I'm sure it'll have 31 or 32 when all is said and done.
We'll see how it all works out once they tweak everyone's schedules. Speaking of THAT, I guess last week at registration, the entire computer network was down because some yahoo sliced through a fiber-optic line with a back-hoe while trying to fix a water main. What joy! What fun! And? The police had to be called because 3 fights broke out. During registration- did I mention that? I don't know who was doing the fighting- at our school it could just have easily been the parents as the students.

Tomorrow we are to report for duty at 7:30, when they will feed us - always helps- and then the fun'll begin promptly at 8:00. The state of Iowa recently decided that we are lacking in inservice days so have mandated 2 additional days, one at the start of the academic year, one at the end. Because of this, we cannot use sick days on those days. Wha??? I think it has something to do with the fact that we get a little stipend at the end of the year from the state because our teacher pay is among the lowest in the nation. But I digress. From 8-11, I'm sure we will do the following: 1. meet new staff ( I think we have like 20 new staff members.Yikes)
2. talk about new "policies" (shorter passing time, no-dropping of classes)
3. talk about old "policies" (hats, cell phones, jackets, dress-code)
4. brainstorm about how we can raise test scores, especially in the sub-groups.
5. look at the clock about 76 times while it crawls to 11:00, when we can break for lunch.

In the afternoon, I'm sure we will get to watch some hokey movie about bloodborne pathogens and our staff will go all Mystery Science Theatre 3000 while we watch some 2 bit actor pretending to be a teacher attempt to cut off his arm with the paper-cutter. We'll probably talk some more about test scores, or maybe "community building". We'll look at the clock and will it to say 3:10.

I must confess to you all, while all of this is happening at our meetings, I myself will probably be doing the following: 1. drinking coffee
2. writing snarky notes back and forth with my colleagues.
3. trying not to get a case of the raging giggles- you know, where you snort and tears run down your face while you are trying to be quiet.
4. writing lesson plans.
5. trying to name all of the teachers in our building, and giving smart-ass nicknames to the ones I can't name, then giggling about it with my colleagues- Carlos's Mom and French -teacher Lady.
6. doodling.
7. making lists
8. making seating charts
9. if I knew how to Sodoku, I'd probably be doing that, as well.

Teachers are the worst to have in class.

7 Comments:

Blogger AprilMay said...

MY inservice starts Thursday, and now I REALLY don't want to go! And that video? That awful, bloodborne pathogens thing which was made sometime in the 70's? That ALWAYS gives me the raging giggles! Add to your list, besides drinking lots of coffee, make sure you are sitting by someone who shares your sense of humor!

8/22/2006 12:00 AM  
Blogger liberalbanana said...

Ha! So I guess everyone in the world has trouble concentrating when they're being lectured!

By the way, that's the first time I've ever seen the contraction "fun'll" -- I love it!

8/22/2006 7:24 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

I took a peek at the agenda for the next 5 days, and I have to say that your days sound pretty easy. Actually the 3 days we go this week are just the preparing for school, reminding us of our duties as teachers, and meeting with teams kind of stuff. Then the first 2 days of next week we have official in-service days where we have people from the professional development office training us. Some of it looked like stuff we trained on last year. Maybe they'll be quizing our knowledge and usage. Ha!

So, I was looking at this agenda, my eyes crossing trying to absorb all this information (4 pages, both sides, 12pt print) and the principal walks in and comments on how serious I looked. Nope, just digesting. But the worst? I also I have to go to the night school where I teach each night for 2-4 hours of more inservice both of those nights. I told my principal this and she was just shaking her head saying, "How are you going to do that?" Uhm, I dunno much caffeine?

Honestly, though, my list of activities for these meetings and inservice things looks much like yours...being a naughty teacher, but not overtly--I don't want detention or anything.

8/22/2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

A-freakin'-men! My husband is a technology instructor for a large computer company and he says the same thing -

Teachers and instructors are the worst people to have in class.

With all the doodling and name calling you sound like me in high school. ;)

8/22/2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger ms-teacher said...

I always sit next to my friend and co-worker, Mrs. K, and we are so bad during staff meetings that I'm sure some people think we probably should be separated!

In-service for us was on Friday, luckily, our principal was merciful because she actually let us out early, allowing teachers to work in their classrooms after lunch! Woot to understanding principals!

8/22/2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger zygote daddy said...

Man oh man. I like teaching, but I am SO relieved not to be a TA anymore!

8/22/2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger GuusjeM said...

I hate presenting to teachers! Due my seniority among the librarians I got to do 3 teacher presentations this time around. Talk about do as I say and not as I do. I was sorely tempted to begin by saying "Hello, in addition to being a librarian I'm also a radical,feminist, seperatist lesbian and a practicing pagan". It would have shut them up ...but then I do love my job so I kept quiet.

8/26/2006 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home