Chuchería

Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Livin'- Oh, it's easy all right



Just in case any of you are wondering (I'm sure you are not, but oh well...) I have to agree with a friend of mine in that BLT's are the perfect summer evening meal. And to make them even more perfect? Replace the mayo with a schmear of avocado. Yuh-uhm. And, since I am in Iowa, Home of the Corn Palace-wait, actually I think that might be in South Dakota. Anyway, we are known for corn and right now is the time for getting a grocery bag full of "peaches and cream"- yellow and white kernels- from the back of a pickup truck parked on the side of the road. $4 for a baker's dozen. To me, this is summer in Iowa. Add to that the chirping of cicadas in the late afternoon/early evening, the sweltering humidity, the smell of hot weeds when you get anywhere near "rural", and bags of zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and eggplant that people anonymously leave on your porch when they know you aren't home to catch them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

WHY OH WHY OH can you tell me that this country has so much corn it can't seem to find enough things to do with it (High Fructose cornsyrup and Ethanol are 2 that pop into mind) but I still have to pay 50 cents an ear at the store. It should be them paying me to take it, dammit!

8/11/2006 3:18 AM  
Blogger Pieces said...

I wish someone would anonymously leave produce on my doorstep. It kills me to be buying zucchini at the store this summer.

Is that Elvis eating corn?

8/11/2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger dear wife said...

Oh I know if we end up leaving the midwest even ZD would miss the corn. WE eat it with everything this time of year. You also cannot forget the seet juicyness that is the musk melon.

8/11/2006 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home