Chuchería

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Summer Teeth (summer there, and some aren't)

First of all, let me inform you all that Lydia lost ANOTHER tooth today. She's really taking this growing up, becoming a big girl thing seriously. She swallowed the tooth, however, so does that mean the Tooth Fairy is off the hook? I mean, it's the end of the month, payday is a couple of days away....

I DO get to teach the classes I was scheduled to teach- YAY! I'm not sure what horror stories you all have, but my district has yanked teachers out of one building because of low numbers and sent them to another building - after the first day of school. My first year at my current school started out with no sub to cover my colleague's maternity leave. The long term sub they had lined up went to Thailand to teach English and left them in the lurch. Well, it wasn't so lurch-like, since she told them in July. So, school starts, no long-term sub to teach Spanish 3. So, they found a French speaking sub who was willing to teach Spanish- level 1 and 2. So, I taught the 3's, which meant that I then had to make sub plans for him. Ugh. It was insane.

They ARE going to run the AP classes even though they are small- for THIS year, anyway. Don't get me started....

The first day of classes went well. We had homeroom, where we were to go over procedures outlined in the student planners. Without the actual planners, because we don't have them yet. We also got to to over the Sexual Harassment brochure- very entertaining for the students who get great folly out of reading the "language" paragraph outloud. "Such names may include, but are not limited to bitch, fag, ho, honey, baby, ....".

AND! Today we got to see the ever-popular Bloodborne Pathogens video as per OSHA regs. I LOVE the part where they guy practically cuts off his hand with the paper-cutter. They also refer to "bodily fluids" a million times and I get all grossed out thinking of the list of "fluids" that could encompass.

Tomorrow, teachers on the 5th floor of my building will not have access to their classrooms after 3:30. Why, you ask? The police are doing "active shooter" training up there. Um, yeah.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

My very first day at my current district was an in-service before school started where the local SWAT team did crisis training with the teachers. They thought it would be great to get experience with the layouts of the buildings (which make no sense as they've been added on about half a dozen times with wings going everywhere). Of course, with school violence being a hot topic, the district thought it would be great training for us to go through hostage, student-with-a-gun, parent-with-a-gun, role plays. Talk about an interesting introduction to the school!

8/30/2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Active shooter training? Holy Guacamole. I hope the training is never needed.

8/30/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger marsha_tm said...

We've lost a few teeth to swallowings, and at least one to "Mommy is putting it in a safe place so we don't lose it." I just draw a picture of the tooth on a piece of paper. Lo and behold, the money cometh.

8/31/2006 12:50 AM  
Blogger zygote daddy said...

So let me see if I have this straight...the police are practicing how best to shoot students who have gone off the deep end? Yikes.

8/31/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

What in the HAIL is "active shooter" training? I thought teaching sex ed was dangerous.

9/01/2006 11:42 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

We had to watch a video about improper relationships with students. The whole time I'm sitting there thinking, "Do I really need to be told not to have sex with my student?" Ew! Gross! As if! I'd rather watch the Bloodborne Pathogen video anyday--even with my phobia of germies!

9/01/2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger KJERRINGA MOT STRØMMEN said...

Amazing- my daughter, a second grade teacher, ran across this posting and thought she was reading from her mom, the Spanish teacher. We lost a veteran teacher to a new high school and another temporarily who is on maternity leave. So as dept. chair, I spent the first week of school working with the new teacher and the sub. When we lost the veteran teacher, they took away her classroom, planning for our new teacher to roam among three classrooms. They finally gave him a classroom Friday before school started on Monday. Despite our input on the master schedule last spring, administration decided that they would not believe the large number enrolled and rather, to wait until the first week to see if the kids really showed up. Well, they did, so our sub (first time in high school) had among her 5 sections 3 of Spanish 2 with 48, 43 and 44 students respectively, and room for only 38 desks in her room. The new teachers and I spent the week testing first year native speakers and then I scored them until 12:30 one night. But now we are opening another section of Spanish Speakers 2 and regular Spanish 2 and it should eventually work out. I think the sub and the new teacher will return on Tuesday - seems they're made of tough stuff, and eventually, I'll be able to focus on my two classes of Spanish Speakers II/AP language, as well as by Pre-AP and AP literature and 2 sections of I.B. Spanish 4. Enrollment is high across the board as we count the kids in each class the first week and write the "warm body count" on the board for administration. Some students rightfully take offense at being identified as "warm bodies", especially since the summer homework and my daily classes call upon their lively minds.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about the sexual harrassment spiel - in a rush to get into course content, I forgot all about Wednesday's mandatory presentation for 2nd period on the conduct code and sexual harrassment. Well, maybe I'll remember next Tuesday.

I looked back at the hundred things about you. I also started teaching Spanish in 1992, but that was a second career for me, and it is my granddaughter who is missing two front teeth. I love to listen to Garrison Keillor when I happen to be on the road of a week end afternoon and and laugh myself silly. My kids don't see the humor in Lake Woebegone. Must be that midwesterners get the subtleties better than Californians.

9/02/2006 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home