Chuchería

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"When I Think About You, I Tag Myself..."

With apologies to the Divinyls for the title of this post. Although, really, shouldn't THEY be the ones to apologize to all of US for singing such a schlocky song?
Ok, so here's the meme, which I originally saw at Happychyck, then Teacher Lady did it, and now, I tag myself.

1. One Book That Changed Your Life: Yikes, no pressure, or anything. I don't know if I can really say that there is any one book that altered my life. There are many that have shaped my life- Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, to name a few. I guess I don't like the idea of anything that would make me put on the brakes, and come to a screeching halt with an "a-ha" moment. I think there are many, many books that have helped shape who I am, but so far no life-changers.

2. One Book That You've Read More Than Once: Aside from Goodnight, Moon and Pat the Bunny,I also have read the 3 books listed in #1 more than once. Oh, and of course I've read all the Harry Potter books several times. And I love them so much, I will read them all again. I was originally a skeptic, but after reading the first book, I never looked back.

3. One Book You'd Want on a Desert Island: This is a tough one. I'd probably want something big, but not too dry. Something entertaining- like Gone With the Wind or And the Ladies of the Club. They never specify how long you're actually going to BE on the deserted island. Is it like, for the rest of your life? Or just until the headhunters eat you?

4. One Book That Made You Laugh: Anything by David Sedaris makes me not only laugh, but actually guffaw and snort. Since it says "one book", and I'm pretending to be a rule follower, I guess I have to pick one. So, I pick Naked. He is so freaking hilarious, he can't do anything the "normal" way. Hitchhike across the country to find himself? Sure, it's been done before, but he has to do it with a paraplegic. Guitar lessons? Many have taken them, but not with a midget. It also helps to imagine him reading each entry- he has a voice and a delivery like no other.

5. One Book That Made You Cry: The Kite Runner. This is an amazing story about a friendship between 2 boys in Afghanistan. It will break your heart, but it's worth it.
In the children's genre, I Love You Forever is an absolute tearjerker. I cannot read this with a dry eye.

6. One Book That You Wish Had Been Written: Maybe some early 70's or 80's young adult novel that portrayed short Midwestern girls as being cool instead of all of the books I read that took place in New York.

7. One Book That You Wish Had Never Been Written:Any of the Chicken Soup books. Gag. And I'm totally with Teacher Lady on the Dr. Laura thing. I hate that woman.

8. The Book That You Are Currently Reading: Not a fair question for me. I just finished Mrs. Kimble, which I quite liked- a good, first novel about 3 women who have all been married to the same creepy man. I just started Zadie Smith's On Beauty, but one of my book clubs is reading Night, by Elie Wiesel. I have such a low, low tolerance for sad things at this point in my life, I'm not really psyched to read it.

9. One Book That You've Been Meaning to Read: One book? Are they kidding? I can't just name one book I've been meaning to read! Ok, I'll try. One Hundred Years of Solitude, because I love Marquez and I love magic-realism. Also, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as the scads of other unread books that are on my shelves, taunting me.

10. Five People To Tag I can't do the tag thing. For one, I don't "know" enough of you that well. Also, I hate putting that kind of pressure on people. Plus, if I tag you and you're all "uh, I don't think so...", I don't think I could take the rejection. So, tag yourself if you are so inclined. Be careful, though, you might go blind.

6 Comments:

Blogger dear wife said...

Oh I love all of Dave Sedaris' books. My parents went to hear him talk and they got a copy of Me Talk Pretty autographed for ZD and he wrote "Everyone thinks your gay." It is the best autographed book ever. We actually listen to his books now rather than read them just because he is so funny reading them. I have to I was not a big Marquis fan before One Hundred Years of Solitude, but that book was amazing. Took me forever to read, but well worth it.

8/08/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Of course you know I like your taste in books! I know Love You Forever is technically a children's book, but I always felt like it was really more a parent book. When I worked in the bookstore, that was a book we made everyone read--with tissue in hand. And come to think of it, I get verklempt every time I read it--still!

8/08/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger ms-teacher said...

Your #5 is the same as mine. Probably one of the best books I've read in a long time.

8/08/2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Oh, I love this! I just finished The Kite Runner...absolutely mesmerizing. I also adore David Sedaris. Listened to Barrel Fever on CD during a road trip recently.

As a lifelong cheesehead, I'm with you on #6...very much so.

8/08/2006 11:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Kite Runner was awesome. Hard to believe it is fiction. I have also been meaning to read 100 years of Solitude. It's on my shelf calling to me even now...

8/09/2006 4:26 AM  
Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

AAHH, I've got One Hundred Years of Solitude sitting on my nightstand and I'm trying to gear up...I love Marquez as well.

And Dr. Laura? That bitch. I marched against her proposed show with Paramount Studios in Hollywood. I was standing at the gates like a crazy person screaming my big gay ass off. I couldn't talk for 2 days after, which I think a lot of people appreciated.

8/10/2006 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home