"When I Think About You, I Tag Myself..."
With apologies to the Divinyls for the title of this post. Although, really, shouldn't THEY be the ones to apologize to all of US for singing such a schlocky song?
Ok, so here's the meme, which I originally saw at Happychyck, then Teacher Lady did it, and now, I tag myself.
1. One Book That Changed Your Life: Yikes, no pressure, or anything. I don't know if I can really say that there is any one book that altered my life. There are many that have shaped my life- Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, to name a few. I guess I don't like the idea of anything that would make me put on the brakes, and come to a screeching halt with an "a-ha" moment. I think there are many, many books that have helped shape who I am, but so far no life-changers.
2. One Book That You've Read More Than Once: Aside from Goodnight, Moon and Pat the Bunny,I also have read the 3 books listed in #1 more than once. Oh, and of course I've read all the Harry Potter books several times. And I love them so much, I will read them all again. I was originally a skeptic, but after reading the first book, I never looked back.
3. One Book You'd Want on a Desert Island: This is a tough one. I'd probably want something big, but not too dry. Something entertaining- like Gone With the Wind or And the Ladies of the Club. They never specify how long you're actually going to BE on the deserted island. Is it like, for the rest of your life? Or just until the headhunters eat you?
4. One Book That Made You Laugh: Anything by David Sedaris makes me not only laugh, but actually guffaw and snort. Since it says "one book", and I'm pretending to be a rule follower, I guess I have to pick one. So, I pick Naked. He is so freaking hilarious, he can't do anything the "normal" way. Hitchhike across the country to find himself? Sure, it's been done before, but he has to do it with a paraplegic. Guitar lessons? Many have taken them, but not with a midget. It also helps to imagine him reading each entry- he has a voice and a delivery like no other.
5. One Book That Made You Cry: The Kite Runner. This is an amazing story about a friendship between 2 boys in Afghanistan. It will break your heart, but it's worth it.
In the children's genre, I Love You Forever is an absolute tearjerker. I cannot read this with a dry eye.
6. One Book That You Wish Had Been Written: Maybe some early 70's or 80's young adult novel that portrayed short Midwestern girls as being cool instead of all of the books I read that took place in New York.
7. One Book That You Wish Had Never Been Written:Any of the Chicken Soup books. Gag. And I'm totally with Teacher Lady on the Dr. Laura thing. I hate that woman.
8. The Book That You Are Currently Reading: Not a fair question for me. I just finished Mrs. Kimble, which I quite liked- a good, first novel about 3 women who have all been married to the same creepy man. I just started Zadie Smith's On Beauty, but one of my book clubs is reading Night, by Elie Wiesel. I have such a low, low tolerance for sad things at this point in my life, I'm not really psyched to read it.
9. One Book That You've Been Meaning to Read: One book? Are they kidding? I can't just name one book I've been meaning to read! Ok, I'll try. One Hundred Years of Solitude, because I love Marquez and I love magic-realism. Also, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well as the scads of other unread books that are on my shelves, taunting me.
10. Five People To Tag I can't do the tag thing. For one, I don't "know" enough of you that well. Also, I hate putting that kind of pressure on people. Plus, if I tag you and you're all "uh, I don't think so...", I don't think I could take the rejection. So, tag yourself if you are so inclined. Be careful, though, you might go blind.