Chuchería

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

You Say Hello?, and I'll Say Hello?

On Children Talking on the Telephone:
AAAck. Since last Spring, Claire and Lydia have discovered the joys of talking on the phone, even more so, answering the phone- especially being the FIRST to answer. Most of the time, it doesn't even ring a complete ring before it is snatched up, immediately following an earsplitting "I'LL GET IT!" Usually it is not for Lydia, but that doesn't stop her from remaining on the line. I'm sure I've become the bane of everyone's existence, for my conversations sound a bit like this:

"Hello? Oh, hi! Lydia hang up the phone, please. Yes, well, I've been trying to get a hold of you, too. LYDIA. Hang up the phone! Sorry. Right, practice is at 5 instead of 5:30? Ok. And who's bringing drinks to the game? LYDIA! HANG. UP.! Ok, we'll see you then!"

Isn't that annoying? And yet, I fall for it every time.

The other annoying kid/phone thing? When their friends call and respond to the universally accepted telephone greeting of "Hello?" with another "Hello?" Ugh. My mother in law does this when she calls, too. It quickly turns into a very baaad Abbott and Costello routine.
Me: "Hello?"
Her: "Hello?"
Me: "Hell oooh?"
Her: "Hello?"
Me: "Hell ooooh- wuh??"

I don't know's on third and what's on second and who's on first.

On a different, non-vaudevillian note, it's Homecoming this week, and you teacher types know what THAT means. Yeah, lots of interuptions and dressing up in the name of "spirit". Mmm, yes. Yesterday was Superhero Day,tomorrow is Cowboy Day and today? Today was 80's Day. 80's Day! Yes, the side ponytail, plastic bangle bracelets and beads, pastel blazers and white pants replaced our usual standard ponytail, black rubber bracelets (which, incidentally were popular in the 80's as well), sweatshirts and low-rise pants. Since when did I get to be old enough to have my youth exploited in such a mockery? Since when did "my" music get played on the "Retro-Ride"? Retro? Duran-Duran? Wha? When? Time keeps on slipping (slipping, slipping) into the future... (sorry, couldn't resist)

2 Comments:

Blogger marsha_tm said...

At least you pick up the line when your kids answer the phone. Because what makes me truly homicidal is when I call someone, and they let their (young) child answer the phone and let them STAY on the phone. For a long time. A very long time.

And I'm forced to make small talk with a two year old for an unfair amount of time. Or am I just a cranky old lady?

9/19/2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

My personal pet peeve is when someone calls and after I say, "Hello", they ask, "Who's this?"

!!!!!!!!

9/23/2006 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home