Chuchería

Monday, October 23, 2006

Clap Your Hands

Did you know that the Spanish word for "to win or to earn" is ganar?

Did you also know that to form the conditional tense of a Spanish verb, that is to say, the form that means "would do something", one only need add a series of "ía" endings to the end of the original verb?

Now say "I would win" in Spanish. G'head. It's easy. "Ganaría". The spoken accent should fall on the "í" - ganar-EE-uh.

Say it again- loud and proud: "Ganaría!"

Now try teaching that to a room full of high school students.

8 Comments:

Blogger Professor Joe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/23/2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Imagine my parent's surprise when I tried to name my first Barbie that!

10/23/2006 8:25 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Oh. Crap. I hadn't even thought of that one.

Actually, I hadn't thought ahead of making sure the class "clocks" never fall on 4:20 when I'm teaching them to tell time next week.

10/23/2006 8:28 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

yeah yeah i havent done that one, but the preterite of poner in the first person single is enough...

poooSAY.
yeah baby, try teaching that to 9th graders.

10/23/2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

I'm just so happy that I'm not the only one enduring embarrassing moments this year. This is pretty good.

10/24/2006 12:54 AM  
Blogger zygote daddy said...

College doesn't get much better. You should hear the snickering when they learn that a barnacle's penis is 10 times the length of its body. Or that bonobos engage in sex dozens of times a day to maintain social order. Oh yeah, and that 4:20 thing sure gets old fast.

10/24/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Zygote Daddy- you've gotta admit, that's pretty damn funny- about the barnacles and bonobos, that is. The 4:20 thing? Not funny.

10/24/2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

How could I miss this post? Could it BE more up my alley? Welcome to my world (at least, it's my world for about the first two class sessions. Then they get over it and the giggling pretty much stops.)

11/21/2006 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home