Chuchería

Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Five

1. Given a choice, and imagining that money and time were no object, would you rather cook dinner, eat out or order in?

I would definitely rather eat out. I'm imagining a wonderful meal that is prepared with lots of garlic and probably something like veal (sorry,
Jess )or shrimp or something I don't prepare at home very much. And a salad prepared by someone else? Almost always better.

2. What is the most elaborate meal you've ever prepared yourself or purchased at a restaurant?

I'm going to answer this in 2 parts. First, I'll tell you about the most elaborate meal I've prepared. I'm actually a fairly adventurous cook, so this is kind of tough. I guess any holiday meal that involves coordinating the turkey or ham with everything else is pretty elaborate in terms of the timing. I've made both moussaka and pastitsio, and a killer Mostaccioli sauce that has meatballs and sausage and pork neck bones and you have to cook it for forever and a day in order for it to come out right.

The most elaborate meal I've eaten out was at a French restaurant that we've gone to several times. Mr. T used to work for a company that took everyone there for the Christmas party. We started with escargots, lobster bisque, salads of hearts of palm. Once Mr. T ordered the sweetbread and the very sweet waiter tactfully asked "Have you had our sweetbreads before?" To which Mr. T answered "no". Taking pity on my poor, philistine husband, he said, "The sweetbreads are the glands of the bull." Mmmm. No thanks, I think I'll have whatever is covered in bearnaise sauce. Mmmmmm.

3. What food do you find yourself making and/or eating way too much?
I don't know if it's necessarily a bad thing, but I make and eat a hell of a lot of chicken. Roasted, grilled, fried, shredded, diced, sliced, baked.... Last Spring I was on a big Greek chicken kick- sooo easy. Juice 1 lemon, pour into a ziploc bag. Add to it about a tablespoon of cooking oil and a small handful of oregano. If you use the dried stuff, make sure you rub it between your palms to release the aroma. Add salt and pepper. Let marinate for about a half and hour. Cook on the grill, serve with yummy Greek salad and warm pita. Yum.


4. What was your most disastrous cooking/eating out experience?

When Mr. T and I were first dating, I invited him over for dinner. I made "coq au vin", but sort of improvised. This is both a good and bad thing, but in this case, it turned the "coq" purple. (great, I can just imagine all the pervert hits I'll get for that one.)I only had red wine, which stained the chicken. Plus, I had to cook it in a bowl, because I was only like 22 and didn't have all things kitchen at my disposal.
It ended up being one of the most memorable, romantic evenings of my life.

5. Would you rather cook for someone else or have them cook for you?

Not a fair question. It depends on what is being cooked, as well as who's preparing it, and who I'd be cooking for.
I really prefer other people to do any kind of grilling for me. I also don't really make pancakes much, so any time someone else wants to make them for me, I'm in.
If I have to cook for really picky people who have no culinary imagination, then I'd prefer to order pizza.
For the most part, though, I do like to cook, so I guess I'd vote for me doing the the cooking and someone else cleaning up.

2 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

I'll have to try your Greek chicken. We eat a helluva lot of chicken, too. Mostly I cook mine in the microwave (using some damn expensive Tupperware cookware which is perfect for this) with various seasonings--but mostly Italian or Mexican.

I'll be skipping your coq au vin, though! :-)

11/10/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

I'm trying the Greek chicken too. I made a balsamic roasted chicken last week from the Giada deLaurentis (sp?) cookbook that was to die for.

And I love to cook, but I'm not a great griller. I'm not sure why. I usually try to save grilling for when lots of male relatives are over, and then they try to assert their machismo by fighting over the grill.

11/11/2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home