Chuchería

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Número Uno

Ok, so here is my first post of November. Remember, I am going to attempt a daily post during this month.

This is a quick shout out to Nic over at Siempre Fiel- take a peek at her blog. Nic, if you are reading this, you should know that I've tried to leave you some awesome comments, but they are not showing up on your site for some reason.

Today was a discouraging teaching day. The students get out an hour early every Wed. so that we can have "collaborative time". It is the bane of my existence. Our school is doing "PLCs" or, for those of you who aren't up on the latest Educationalese, Professional Learning Communities. I am not opposed to PLCs- it's the meeting and thinking you are being productive, then being told you can't actually implement something creative and innovative that your group has come up with that I'm opposed to.

We also have a big literacy initiative in our district, one in which we all have to do specific literacy activities in our classroom and then fill out a log to document that we've actually done said activity. So now, instead of just working on a reading passage with my students, asking different types of questions, I have to record the activity. It's like the Dementor (for all of you Harry Potter fans, you know what I mean-for everyone else, it's a life sucking being) of education. All this stuff that is supposed to make me more "accountable" is just sucking the life and joy out of teaching. Basically, it's just sucking.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh, I forgot to mention the brilliant decision in the district with the big, overblown "literacy initiative", the decision to cut librarians in the elementary school was made. So now, most schools must share a librarian and that person must commute between 2 schools. Because, really, a library just has books and computers and stuff and those might, just might, help increase a student's literacy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Oooh. Sorry for the dementor aspect of your career. Hope the rest of this bloggy month is better.

11/01/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Oops! I had to approve all the comments. Doh! (I turned that setting off).

Thanks for all the comments, and sorry you had PLC day. We had "Why Are Your Failing kids Failing, and What Can You Do About It? Write a Departmental Report" Day. Since we discovered the majority of our failing Spanish students are the ones who rarely come to school, I guess the answer is drive to their houses and drag each and every one out of bed, or something.

11/01/2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Happy NaBlPoMo! I am so excited t hat I got the Dementor reference. It's nice to associate with people as cool as me.

11/01/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

I wish it wasn't so frustrating. Sucking the joy out of education - yeach - that is just wrong.

11/02/2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home