Chuchería

Friday, November 03, 2006

Tres in NaBloPoMo*

Our school is on the block schedule. Full time teachers teach 3 90 minute blocks a day. Since I was the last hired in our department, and there is no extra classroom for me, I don't have my own classroom-I push a cart from room to room - my "mobile classroom". It's not really so bad, it just requires that I be extremely organized, which I am not, by nature. This means that I'm constantly forgetting things in the other room- CD's in the CD player, stacks of papers, videos in the VCR. I'm lucky that the rooms are all close together, so it's a matter of running next door.

Yesterday, I was about to give my 4th block class a quiz and realized I'd forgotten the quizzes. I told the kids to study for a quick minute and I'd be right back. Homecoming Queen said in a stage whisper "Ok, we won't do anything while you're gone." So, I walked a few steps into the hall, then ran back into the room to find him about to molest my cart. (molest means bother, people! Jeez!) So, I made him come with me, which he happily did. We ended up being gone a few more minutes than expected, because we saw one of the girls in our class in the hall and stopped to talk to her- she was upset about something. We walked back to the classroom, where I opened the door...
to find the big, teacher desk moved from the front of the room to right inside the doorway, the students sitting quietly, hands folded, holding back smiles.

What to do? What does the Master Teacher do in such a situation?
Does she:
A. curl up in the fetal position, rock back and forth and
say "calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean"
over and over again.
B. Cry
C. Laugh hysterically
D. Give everyone detention
E. Go apeshit and yell and scream at them about being immature
and untrustworthy and that they need to be studying for the
vocab. quiz.

Cast your votes. Then I'll tell you what I did, not being a Master Teacher, you know.
*NaBloPoMo=National Blog Posting Month

9 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

I probably would have laughed, which is why I struggle to control my classes. I am not a Master either. So what'd you do?

11/03/2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger MsAbcMom said...

B.

11/03/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger MsAbcMom said...

OOPS! I meant c!!!

11/03/2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

depends on the teacher, no?

Why not crawl over the desk and tell them they can leave when they move it back to where it belongs.

I actually knew one teacher who gave her whole class detention. it was hard not to find this a little humorous.

It also depends on A. how much master teacher values their job, B.what period it is.

i think asking a student to hand me my purse and car keys and head elsewhere, like home, would be my favorite choice.

11/03/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger zygote daddy said...

In a perfect world? C.

At the end of the work day and you have bills to pay and children to feed? Definitely B.

11/04/2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

I'm thinking C. Then E. Depending on previous bad behavior might add in a little D.

Anymore, childish antics just exhaust me--how 'bout you?

11/04/2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger AprilMay said...

Definitely C! That is too funny!

And by the way, I also have one of those horrid phones in my classroom. I tell my parents to email me and try not to EVER leave messages!

11/04/2006 12:56 AM  
Blogger Mr. R said...

We pulled this same stunt back when I was a student, and the teacher freaked out. Now, as a teacher, I would probably laugh it off, though it might depend on the particular class. If there had a history of respect and behavior problems, I might have to react differently.

11/04/2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Dying to know what you did - at least they didn't bring a dead chipmunk to class (from home), dump it on top of their desk, then start shrieking like they just happened upon it - that's what they did to the Spanish teacher at MY high school. Why there weren't more teachers being shipped off to mental institutions, I'll never know.

11/05/2006 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home