Chuchería

Thursday, November 02, 2006

True Confessions

We have a phone system at school - each room has a phone, and I mean like a fancy office type phone that has different lines and voice mail and you can put people on hold and transfer them to other lines and stuff, only I don't know how to do any of that. Each teacher has a voice- mailbox as well. The "msg" light on the phone supposedly lights up when there is a message. Then, 20 minutes later, it lights up again, because it forgot that it lit up before. (I'm only kidding about that part- get it? MSG as in monosodium glutamate or whatever it's called?)

At any rate, I never really figured out how to set up the phone so that I can access my voicemail. I tried, I really did, but it was like a 23 step process and I got really sick of this Stepford voice saying things like "THAT is an invalid PASSword. Please try again." I figured that if the "msg" light was on, I'd have reason to figure it out. Well, the "msg" light is never on. Nev. Er. So, I never had reason to check my "msg s". Right?

Wrong. We got an email sent out to all of us to emtpy our voice-mailboxes and to re-set our voice-mail messages this year. I printed a copy of the step by 23 step directions and gave it a go. YAY! It worked. I have a current, professional "I am away from my desk, but if you leave your name, number and a brief message, I will return your call" kind of message. I have a password that I actually KNOW. I still have to get out the file folder that walks me through the process, but I am able to navigate through its different functions beyond just dialing room to room or outside the building. But wait, what's that little mechanical voice saying to me? "You have. Twenty. Three. Messages."

23 messages. Good lord. Some of those messages were from 2 YEARS ago. I'm sure these poor people are going around telling everyone what a slacker I am because I never returned their calls.

Could I be a BIGGER loser?

7 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

I didn't figure our voicemail system out until the end of my 3rd year, either. Whoops!

And it was the same issue....follow the handout instructions to the T, and they don't flipping work. I was shocked when I got a set of intructions that actually did.

11/02/2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

I'm so glad I read this post! I just activated my voice mail system today and discovered a message that had been waiting for me since 29 September (of this year, sorry!). Now I don't feel so bad. Two YEARS? Sheesh! (But just think--you don't have to worry about answering them now!)

11/02/2006 7:24 PM  
Blogger IB a Math Teacher said...

There are two things about our phone system that are strange.

1) The flash light doesn't work on our phones when we have a message. I have to go through a fourteen-point system just to hear "You have no new messages" everyday. Annoying.

2) Something that makes me happy...each phone's ringer can be turned off. Mine is always put into the off position. Every once in awhile someone from the office will walk down and tell me that they can't reach me. "Darn kids must have turned the ringer off again." I'll turn it back on. (with fingers crossed behind my back)

11/02/2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger marsha_tm said...

Don't feel too bad. I still don't know how to retrieve messages from my cell phone properly. Through a series of random button-pushes I get the job done, but I've erased entire days worth of messages accidentally.

I have better things to do, damnit!

11/02/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Ah HA! The truth revealed!
Heh.
I can't work my VCR.

11/03/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Sorry to point this out, but you have just publicly announced that you can retrieve messages now. There goes that excuse in the future!

11/03/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

We don't have phones in our room, but when we were given our 23-point instructions on how to retrieve messages, our principal suggested that we check our voicemail TWICE a day. Hahahahaha! Last quarter I checked it 4 times. I had a total of 2 messages.

11/04/2006 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home