Chuchería

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Yesterday

A re-cap of yesterday, or "Why I fell asleep at 9:00 and thus resorted to lame blog entry on Nov. 7."

6:30 am Mr. T left to go "get out the vote" and be a poll-watcher (NOT a pole-watcher, which is an entirely different, hillbilly thing.)

6:50 am My mom arrived to pinch hit and hang out with the girls so that I could go to school. Girls cooperative, for once.

7:10 am Left house, refused to listen to any talking on the morning radio. My 7 minute commute only allows me to listen to like 2 songs on my Beck cd in the car. Track 6, and then I go back to Track 5.

7:45 am Show time- aka the final bell signalling the start of 1st Block. A very mellow start to my day- tiny class with 7 students. (Scheduling snafu.)

9:15 am Prep time, which I spent at a meeting with my daughters' principal discussing some teacher issues I'm having; on the way back to school realized I was on "e", so stopped for gas. While filling up, was watching the numbers tick away and was thinking "Boy, I really must've needed gas, 'cause usually the thing shuts off at about 13.5 gallons." 14, 14.5, 15, 15.5...... until I realized that gas was splooshing onto the ground. Made up for yucky gas smell and nervous feeling talking to principal by stopping at coffee drive through for a cuppa. Made it back to school in time for some "housekeeping" stuff I needed to do for trip to Spain this summer.

11:00am Crazy 3rd Block that has 29 bodies stuffed into it, none of whom will shut up for love nor money. I've tried, they won't. This is the class with the boy of very average ability, who by some strange twist got a B- at midterm last quarter. His dad set up a conference because his grade point average was going to interfere with his going to college. Mmm yeah. He got a 14 on his ACT's. He's a nice kid, he does his work , but higher than a B for his final grade? Not going to happen, sorry. Plus, he missed ALL last week because of an injury, which I know he can't help, and will miss Thurs. and Fri. of this week because they're going out of town. Whatever. Maybe his GPA would be better if he didn't miss 7 out of 10 days of school. Maybe.

1:00pm Noisy 4th Block which has Homecoming Queen and the Desk Movers. They got to miss the last 35 minutes of valuable class time last Thurs. for a fundraiser, which I am ok with,and can plan accordingly. However, they had another day of such nonsense yesterday. It was an eating contest, with proceeds going to help the local food bank. Irony? Plus, I am philosophically opposed to this. So, I told my class they could go, but those who stayed would get 20 extra credit points. I'm sure that flies in the face of school spirit, but could care less.

3:30 Home at last. Leaves taking over the yard. I had to buy the house with the 5 oak trees that are 100 plus years old. That aren't finished dropping their leaves. Filled 8 stupid lawn bags, plus yard waste bin. Leaves still in the lead. Claire cleaned gross hamster cage and called it a day. Lydia raked and jumped in a pile for a while, then lost interest and focused on the candy.

6:30 Back in the house to find Lydia's Halloween candy bucket with significantly less candy than earlier. Only Tootsie Rolls, Smarties and other non-chocolate treats remain. Claire in a tv daze. No beer in fridge. Ate lame-o dinner from freezer.

7:30 Rousing games of Go-Fish, Slamwich and Blink. Girls took turns reading some of the Thanksgiving favorites. (Awwwww! Especially cute to hear Claire read some of the ones we remember reading to her when she was a toddler.)

8:45 Mr. T still poll watching. Girls all ready for bed. Lay down with Claire to say good night. Stumbled into Lydia's room to do the same. Woke up long enough to stay in the NaBloPoMo running.

10 ish, too much in a daze to remember properly. Stumbled to bed, praying that Jim Nussle would not be our new governor.

11:30 Unbeknownst to me, Mr. T arrived home after attending the local "victory" party, tired but feeling good about all of his time and energy put into this election.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I am tired just listening to your day. Poor thing.

11/08/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Argh, why can't some parents just accept that not every kid is an "all A" student?? (I'm getting sick of the emails myself).

Your days sounds exhausting, but on a positive note...your kids have fabulous names! (AND you get to go to Spain. Te envidio.)

11/08/2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

And that is the day in the life of a working mom teacher. Exhausting just reading it!

11/08/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

First of all, that sounds completely exhausting. Second of all, NOW I see where mommy and daddy's preshush little genius gets the idea he should get As in everything just for showing up. Some people should not breed, she typed and then rode off on her Huffy Bike.

11/08/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Do they have hillbilly pole watching on ESPN? Heh.

11/09/2006 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home