Chuchería

Monday, December 18, 2006

Prissy McPrissypants

You know how the word "gay" has changed its meaning in the past 100 years or so? All of the cute little rhymes and songs that talk about frolicking and Gay Par-ee? Can't really use'em in their original context without enduring total sophmoric behavior. (and of this, I am sometimes guilty. I'm not a robot!)

And how about the Owl and the Pussycat? Yeah.

Can you guys please weigh in on the issue of the word "pimp"? I busted a student today for wearing a shirt that said "Pimp...(something something something)" on it. I told her quietly that her shirt was offensive and that I wasn't going to look at the word "PIMP" emblazoned on her shirt in big yellow letters while I was teaching and that she could either go turn it inside out or get something else to wear. My Inner Priss reared her ugly, prissy head. I was talking with some colleagues about it and it was suggested that the word today doesn't have the same meaning as it did back in our day, as evidenced by "Pimp My Ride".
I still think it's offensive for a young lady to wear clothing that has "PIMP" anywhere on it.
What do you all think?

6 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

One of my relatives bought some gifts for my nephews--trucks labeled "Pimp Your Ride."

I wouldn't have bought these things for kids, and I'm surprised they're even sold. But obviously, people buy them.

12/19/2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I think the meaning has changed, but.....would said young lady wear that shirt to work in any kind of professional setting? A lot of these kids seem to have no clue that these words may not be offensive to them, but they're still both a) offensive to many people and b)inappropriate in certain settings. You did her a favor by making that clear, in my opinion.

You should hear the filth that drops out of my students' mouths, and I'm no priss, but it shocks me that they don't realize that language appropriate for home or hanging out with friends isn't okay everywhere.

12/19/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

I'd agree that "pimp" has no place in a school. It sounds way too much like "pimple," and there are probably too many of those in the halls the way it is.

12/19/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

My mother (English teacher to 8th graders, bless her) HATES that word. She knows the meaning has changed, but still . . . she thinks it's REALLY inappropriate.

I had a freshman student who wore at T-shirt at the beginning of the semester that was of a fist in the "flipping off" position, except instead of a middle finger there was a cigarette, and the shirt read, "I smoke so f--- you." Except it wasn't f---. It was the real deal. I was so shocked I couldn't even say anything and then - do I have the right to tell my students what to wear or not wear in college? Sorry to hijack your post!

12/21/2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Oh yes, that's irritating to me. Wouldn't it be nice if we could go up to people and respond to their shirts? Isn't their fashion dialogue inviting conversation? How I'd love to see the reaction of the child if people constantly went up to her and said, "Oh! I've been looking for you. What do you have and how much?"

12/21/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

I don't think most of my students have any clue about how to behave in polite society, mainly because their parents don't. However, the word that sends me over the edge, and which my students say and write (all the time on their myspace pages) is a variation of the infamous "N-word". They don't understand how utterly offensive those of us of a certain age find that word. I can't imagine what some of their older relatives would think if they heard it spew out of their mouths.

12/21/2006 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home