Chuchería

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Wrong!

Well, we got our snow day last week- yahoo! It started out as a 2 hour late start, but "snowballed" (ha! I crack myself up!) into a full fledged snow day by about 6:45. Our new superintendent hails from Duluth, so I'm sure if it were left up to him, we'd never have a snow day. I would have enjoyed my day much more, had my children not chosen to wake up at 4:30 and to come into my room and stand next to my bed, right by my sleeping face and say, "Mom! It snowed!" in the loudest stage whisper ever. Our cats weren't even up yet. Any other day, they're lazing in bed, completely out of it until we haul out the big guns to get them vertical.

In other, non snow related stuff, just out of curiosity, what is your school's cell phone policy ,what do you think about it and how do you personally enforce it? Our district has an "It should be seen and not heard" sort of rule. Our handbook states that they may not be on their phone between 6:30 am and the end of the school day. Well, the part about 6:30 has been unofficially eliminated and the kids are on their phones until the first bell rings. We have staff members who act as though a cell phone is tantamount to a crack pipe or a weapon and believe they should not even have them on their person. Hello? Do we not have bigger things to deal with? I don't think they should be on the phone at school, nor do I think they should be texting their friends. But, is it realistic to expect teenagers to not have a cell phone at all? I know, we all lived without them, but we lived without the Internet, too. I am much more in favor of the "not seen, not heard" policy than the "Let's search their backpacks and take their phones" policy.


And, in other randomness, I took the girls to get haircuts at a kiddie haircut place yesterday. Every little boy who came in got the exact same haircut. How is this possible?

7 Comments:

Blogger harpo the dog said...

why is that, the days you can sleep in, they dont, they days you need them to get up, you have to drag them out of bed. happens to me every saturday.

12/07/2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

I'm as bad as the kids...on days when I can sleep in, I am wide awake 1/2 hour early! Grrrrrrr...

I think the cell phone issue is a lame battle to pick. Students are allowed to carry the phones. They are not allowed to use the phones except at lunch. My middle schoolers are pretty good about this (and YES the vast majority do have them), but my high schoolers are mad texters who drive me pretty well crazy. And I'm not even kidding when I tell you that sometimes IT IS their parents calling.

What about teachers using phones--talking or texting--during classtime? Does anyone see that? I know a few teachers like that and it just does not sit well with me.

12/07/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

We never get snow days, no matter what. I remember driving in one morning while the mayor begged us not to come to work if we didn't have to.

NYC has an absolute prohibition on cell phones. Oddly, every kid seems to have one anyway.

12/07/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

I can't imagine being in a K-12 school where phones are an issue. Sigh. I think NOT seen and not heard is fine. If a kid wants to tote one around in his backpack, no biggie. (Or am I taking "seen" too literally? Perhaps.) They don't have to be confiscated every day. I cannot IMAGINE teachers texting or using their cell phones. Obnoxious and sets a TERRIBLE example.Finally, I had an advisor who made all undergrads place their cell phones on the corners of their desks so she knew they weren't texting or snapping pix of her to be posted later on Rate Your Professors.

12/07/2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

I like the fact that our policy is that if the phone is seen from the time of the first bell to the time of the last bell, the phone will be confiscated.

But I have walked in to a teacher's classroom just today --his feet up, talkin on his cell in front of the class. i guess i get a little irritated by that because it make it seem like he's the cool guy and we are all suckup losers doing what we are supposed to. he even gives them work where they have to make calls on their phones in the hall. part of me thinks its funny though.

I can't make myself get mad about these things.

12/08/2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Our school board policy is that the phones have to be off and left in their backpacks during school. If we find one we're supposed to have the student turn it off, drop it in a plastic bag, label it with their name, and then they lock it up in the front office until a parent comes up to pick it up after 2:30. Amazingly enough last year I had 3 phones go off in my room (and confiscated them). This year the novelty has somewhat worn off and the kids are good about keeping them off. I'm not checking pockets or purses to see if they're in the lockers, but as long as they aren't on or messing with them in class, I'm not going to worry about it.

As for teachers on the phone. YIKES! We are not supposed to use our phones in front of our students, although many of us keep them handy to call parents if we need to. I have at least 3 parents' numbers programmed in my phone with requests (from the parent) to call them should Junior cause any trouble. It's amazing how well that works when Junior knows you really will do it in the middle of class in front of everyone.

12/09/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger sexy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3/05/2009 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home