I love Christmas. I love Christmas music- I have Christmas CDs, cassettes AND even a collection of LPs. I have the radio station in the car tuned to the Clear Channel radio station that plays "All Christmas, ALl the Time" from Thanksgiving until Dec.26, which isn't actually true, because they do take a break in the morning for the "Bob and Tom Show". So, I'm no Scrooge.
But, can I just say that that damn "Christmas Shoes" song makes me want to hurl? And not just because of it's simpering, pseudo countrified tune and whiny children singing background chorus. It's because it gets to me- in all of it's cheap, sappy glory, it makes me cry. And I hate that song! I don't hate other songs that make me cry- maybe it's because it's because I actually like the song. But this one? Hate it. But, when I picture this sweet faced little boy buying shoes for his dying mother so that she'll look pretty when she meets Jesus (read: buys the farm, kicks the bucket, checks out), I just go all to pieces like the sap that I am. I am so embarrassed. My indie rocker husband would puke a little in his mouth if he knew. (Not really, he's very sweet and tolerant of my sappy girlie moments.)
So, in the spirit of the Holidays, here's a Christmas meme I stole from Nic at Siempre Fiel.
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Eggnog. I like it plain or fancy (fancy being spiked with whiskey.) I even like eggnog flavored things- like eggnog icecream from here.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? He wraps, which is a pain in the ass, since his wrapping paper cannot resemble any of the family's paper and must be bought and hidden so as to perpetuate the myth for at least a few more years.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We have white icicle lights around the porch, but I love colored lights on the tree. I especially like the old fashioned kind with the big bulbs that constantly burn out and get really hot and are the bane of the fire fighters' existence.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. I'm not opposed to it, though.
5. When do you put your decorations up? I start hauling the boxes down from the attic Thanksgiving weekend. We always decorate the tree the following weekend.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? For Christmas I like ham or turkey. I made lovely pork roast one year that I glazed with a red currant jelly. I don't think anyone appreciated my efforts-philistines!
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Spending Christmas with cousins- all sleeping in one room and staying up way too late laughing and giggling until we were told to go to sleep so Santa could come.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I think I just kind of figured it out in about 4th grade. I didn't want to give it up, since the grownups seemed to enjoy it so.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? The girls do-usually something small, and sometimes something to keep them quiet at mass.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I have a very eclectic mix of ornaments from my childhood, Mr. T's childhood and the girls each get an ornament every year. There is no "theme" or color scheme. We have all the ornaments they've made. When we've crammed the mother load of ornaments on, we usually have a bunch left over, then I "fill in" with large, vintage glass bulbs in a variety of colors.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love it. It cleans everything up- hides the ungly brown lawns and leaves that didn't get raked. It's so elegant and quiet. But, by mid February, it needs to go away. Living in Iowa, though, we can have freak snow storms into April.
12. Can you ice skate? You see, I would actually have to don ice skates and get my ass out onto the ice to know this for a fact. And that hasn't happened in about 20 years. I'm going to go with no.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Not really- for me it's all about the anticipation and just opening the packages is fun. I do have a special emerald ring Mr. T gave me our first Christmas we were married. We had no money, so it was a big surprise.
14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Making good memories for my girls.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? At Christmas, I like peppermint stick ice cream served with Nabisco's Famous Chocolate wafers.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? We don't unwrap one non-Santa present on Christmas morningn until we've had breakfast.
17. What tops your tree? A tacky, sparkly, glittery, multi-colored star that has lights on it.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving gifts? Oh, giving I suppose, but I do like to open presents!
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? The Christmas Shoes. Just kidding- you know I freaking hate that song. Right now I'm really into big band sounding Christmas songs, so I guess it's more of a style than any one song. I really like "Children Go Where I Send THee", mostly because I remember singing it as a child and it hasn't been played to death. The only recording I have of it in my vast collection of Christmas music is by Natalie Merchant on one of the many "A Very Special Christmas" cds. Mr.T recently downloaded a Christmas collection by the very un-known Suffian Stevens- I LOVE it. Check it out if you can.
20. Candy canes! Yuck or yum? Yum. And such a cheerful looking candy, too.
21. Favorite Christmas movie: Does "Love Actually" count? We can't really watch that as a family, however, what with the porn doubles and all. White Christmas, the old favorite, It's a Wonderful Life and of course, A Christmas Story.
22. Favorite Christmas Cartoon: A Charlie Brown Christmas. Do those Rankin and Bass claymation specials count as cartoons? Then maybe A Year Without a Santa Clause. Because really, The Heat Miser is classic.
Happy Holidays, y'all. Feel free to steal and then leave a comment with a link back to your blog so I can take a look!