Chuchería

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Happy New Year!

Thirteen things I will try to do to improve my life this year:

1. Organize the plethora of photos that I have not put into albums or scrapbooks in an embarrassingly long time.

2. Exercise. I hate, hate, hate to exercise. This will be hard, but definitely necessary. I will try to remember to set realistic goals for myself.

3. Write people a real letter, like on paper every now and again.

4. Be more patient with my children. Do I want to be remembered as Crabby Mc Crabster for the rest of their lives?

5. Try not to stress out about Mr. Fusspot, a coworker of mine who gives me fits. He will reap what he has sown.

6. Learn to knit. Every flipping year I say I will learn to do this and I don't. I love the look of knitted things and am shamelessly jealous of those who can knit.

7. Make a pot of soup every week, on a Sunday, so we have something decent to eat during the week that is all ready to go.

8. Visit my grandma. She is 84 years old and lives in Bethlehem, PA. I am pretty much all she has left, as my father was an only child and so am I. (there is technically a half brother, but that's a loooong story.) Anyway, my grandmother has survived breast cancer, she still goes out dancing, and enjoys a nice bourbon and water and smokes 2 cigarettes a day "for her bowels", she claims.

9. While the upstairs bathroom (the only full bath) is being renovated, I will restrain myself from messing with other rooms in the house in a half-assed fashion that will ultimately lead to me becoming discouraged and leaving a helluva mess.

10. Read the books I have. It's a sickness, really, how many books I own. I can't help myself, though, when the library has books- good books- for a quarter, or I get cool things like a first edition, signed copy of the Fran Leibowitz Reader
at the Goodwill for 88 cents.

11. Be a better Netflix customer. I joined the freaking Netflix in the first place becaause they had all of these awesome movies readily available and delivered to me in the comfort of my own home. And then I don't take advantage of it- I keep the movies too long. It's still better than late fees and the fact that Ballbuster totally sucks ass.

12. Correct my students' papers sooner than later. Have I mentioned before how I loathe the correcting of the papers?

13. Floss.

7 Comments:

Blogger AprilMay said...

LOL! I am also shamelessly envious of those who can knit and have made this same promise to myself many times!
Maybe we can form a club; the "Someday I will Knit" group!

1/04/2007 11:03 PM  
Blogger harpo the dog said...

ok, i can help with #1, come over any time, I too have a ton of pics I need to put away, and I have spent gobs of money on supplies to scrabbook that just sits in my closet. (I just decided the other day to find a friend who will scrapbook with me, funny how that works). As for #6, my sister in law has told me several times she will teach me how to knit, I will get her to come to my house and she can teach us both, I just went to Iowa City to learn from her, but we talked to much and ran out of time. #2, if you feel like taking a walk, give me a call, I like to walk, dont like to excercise, see my dilema? As for #4, when you figure that one out, give me a call, lol.

1/05/2007 8:11 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I think the best way to start exercising is by walking. You can go out for 20 minutes, or whatever you can live with, build up gradually, and plot how to deal with all your other resolutions.

You can even bring your floss.

1/07/2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Man, I wish you lived nearby as I'd love to teach you to knit. My grandma taught me when I was around 8, and I'm still at it (although I took about 20 years off). It is what keeps me sane.

As for exercise..I solved that problem by joining a gym with my best friend who's more motivated about it than I am and who drags my ass down there...although I was very proud of the fact that I went all during break when she was sick and couldn't go!

1/07/2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

My mother is an expert knitter. When she tried to teach me, if i dropped a stitch, she unraveled the whole bloody thing.

Oddly enough.....still no desire to learn.

1/08/2007 10:24 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

no desire to knit but want to play the fiddle.

i'll probably never floss cos i have a sonicare.

netflix rocks yo.

mr fussypockets works at your school too?

how funny

doesn't teaching teach you to be more patient and laid back? i know its s tug of war for me and most of the answers are "hold your tongue now and speak when you have the words"

1/09/2007 12:15 AM  
Blogger marry said...

oho good dear !!!! very interesting blog and a good posting !!! you must maintain your blog, its interesting !!! Nice Buddy
________________________________

Research Paper Sample

12/05/2009 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home