Chuchería

Monday, February 05, 2007

Just another frigid Monday....

So glad to have Super Bowl out of the way. I'm pretty much in Bear Country, so there were lots of long faces today. Me? I could really care less. I'd like to say it's because I'm taking the "On Principle" high road, but it's really more of a case of not giving a rat's ass. I'm just not a sports-oriented person, which at times has made me feel a bit of a social outcast. I attend the occasional baseball game in the summer, and I have to admit, for me, it's really more about the ambiance. I root for my girls when they play whatever sport. I attend the obligatory high school football game when my students say shyly "Mrs. T, are you coming to our game tonight?"
But, professional sports really just leave me cold. This weekend I had 2 people tell me that they've boycotted all pro sports on the principle that they players make an obscene amount of money compared to educators. (We might say the same about nurses and social workers and .....)

Out here on the prairie, we are cold, cold, cold, as Nanny would say in the Eloise books. The forcast says "Frigid"- our high temperature has been a whopping 4 degrees for the past several days. When it hits the balmy 20's on Wed. we won't know what to do with ourselves. We'll show up to work in flip flops and tank tops. It's the kind of cold where the undercarriage of your car freezes, so when you go over a bump in the road, your car sounds like it's going to crack. Call me a freak, but I'm actually kind of glad for the cold weather. I get nervous when we have long stretches of unseasonably warm weather in the winter. I keep thinking about the polar ice caps melting and the polar bears coming to town in Canada (anyone else see that PBS special?). It's the midwest, it's February, it's supposed to be cold.

Today we had several water mains break, which shut down several businesses downtown, including the courthouse. Some schools also had mains break- how is it that they still had school? You have no water. You can't flush. Eww. We were under a "boil order" at our school- so the kids were all freaking out about that. I'm trying to put together some sub plans so I can take a mental health day soon and let Calgon take me away.....

7 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

Mmmmmm...Mental health day! Next to the fire snuggled up in a blanket drinking tea and reading a nice book. Well, that's what I imagine, though. Keep warm!

2/05/2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

We do not watch professional sports in our home...
The amount of money generated from sports is insane...
and I agree with you, the money would be best placed towards education and the arts...

I live in Canada and I have now welcomed the cold as it has been unbelievably warm here and we finally have had our cold snap...
So, I feel as though we really needed the -28 degree Celcius with the wind chill weather...
(I hate the winter... But know we need the freeze, the earth needs the freeze... and somehow it has made a sigh of relief that the cold weather has finally come at last... as we had a real fear that we would not have it..)

2/06/2007 12:52 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

It's the same "principle" that makes me boycott McDonald's, Best Buy, and Jiffy Lube. The employees at all of these places make obscene amounts of money compared to educators.

2/06/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

I know what you mean; I was actually relieved when the temps dropped so low. It's the midwest for cryin' out loud! We're supposed to be sub-zero this time of year. :)

I'm not a sports person either. It all evokes a "meh" feeling in me.

Good luck with the sub plans!

2/07/2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, I love the idea of a mental health day... I think I need one of those and I don't even work!

2/08/2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

huh, the people at mcdonalds make more than me? did the world change while i was asleep at the wheel? not again!

yeah we dont even bother to boycott them, so deep is our total indifference. watching sports is a courtesy to other people who we love.

mmm mental health day. sounds so nice.

yeah i keep seeing the polar bears dying too, and it is hard not to get a little wierded out when it is colder in portland than it was where i lived in Russia.

2/09/2007 12:15 AM  
Blogger Kevin Charnas said...

You guys really are getting hit, huh? Hope that it warms up a little soon.

I'm with you on the pro-sports thing. I like going to games for the excitement and ambience of being there. But over TV? I'm an athlete myself, but the whole obsession over the pro thing? I don't get it - never have.

I used to apologize for not being into it, now I look at people like THEY'RE the crazy ones for being so wrapped up in it.

2/09/2007 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home