Chuchería

Monday, March 19, 2007

Baño Update

Ok, so I've been a bit of a slacker blogger lately. Suffice it to say that last week's time change? Where we sprung forward? Kicked my ass. It did not help that last Sunday morning I needed to be at the 8:00 (am) mass, which was really the 7:00 (am) mass, at 7:35, which was really 6:35, for Girl Scout Sunday. Since I am a leader for Claire's troop and an official Helper for Lydia's, I really needed to be there. Then my senses completely took leave of my body and I ended up not sitting with the girls. There were all these parents in the gathering space before the mass and I figured there were enough adults there, so I'd go ahead and sit down. I think I was projecting and doing what I wanted them all to do and instead did it myself.

We are officially in Remodeling Hell. Before I bore you with those details, let me first say that there are definitely some things I like about my big old house. Here is one of them:



This is the detail of the leaded glass window on our stair landing. Lovely.

Here is another:



This is the heating vent in Lydia's room. It is the only one like it in our house. The others are also attractive, but no other has the sunburst design.

And another:



This is the interior shot of the small, center windows on the second floor. They are in our bedroom-there is a third window as well, but it's in Mr. T's closet. They have 3 for symmetry, not function.

Now for things we have destroyed. Right now, the bathroom upstairs (that's right, THE bathroom upstairs. We have a half-bath on the main floor and a Turkish prison motif bathroom with a shower in the grungy, slightly scary basement.) is in complete destruction. Let me show you why:



I don't know if you can exactly see, but there is a vanity, then a toilet, then another vanity. So, when you sit on the toilet, which at some point, we all have to, you are wedged between 2 ugly vanities. The previous owners painted over wallpaper- a very blah taupe color. Those who know me know that I am not a beige/taupe/neutral color kind of person. I like me some color. Color! So, the first thing to go was one of the vanities. A close-up:





Check out the light sconces that need to be replaced:




Could they be any uglier? And why the bare bulb? And why did the previous owners live with this? They had a flat screen plasma tv hanging on the wall - why not invest in some decent sconces?

Oh, and at one time I guess people liked heaters on timers over the bathtub. But, apparently, there is the whole issue of rust:



The sad thing is that it still works, but when you turn it on, it smells like burnt dust. It's going.


Oh, and in addition to the painted over wallpaper walls? Grey paneling that has also been painted over. Also going.
So now, the bathroom is gutted. The tub is there, but everything else? Gone. I'll post pictures of the rubble. Hopefully by summer we'll have a new bathroom, all ready for action.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Oh, those lovely cast iron heat grates!!! Your picture and post brought back some memories. My grandmother's old farmhouse in Colorado had the coolest heat grates..my cousins and I would lay on the floor upstairs and shoot spitwads through them downstairs at other cousins/adults. When my aunt, who now lives in the house, had to have a new heating system installed, they told her the grates had to go...she saved them all gave them to my mom, her daughters, and me. That grate is one of my prized possessions. It's painted white and is in my kitchen, displayed with my collection of tins and antique cookware.

3/19/2007 9:22 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

wow that is some beautiful grate! why dont they do that anymore?

and er paint over wallpaper? what were they thinking? thats awful!

3/19/2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

Girl, you weren't kidding. You ARE in remodeling hell. But I am SO envious of your leaded windows. That's the kind of charm I was hoping for when we bought our 70 year old house. Anyway, you have my complete, total, utmost sympathy. And empathy. Whatever. I feel badly for you!

3/20/2007 8:32 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

That grate is just beautiful.

¡Buena suerte con tu baño!

3/22/2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

omg - the leaded glass windows and those gorgeous heating vents pretty much make up for the bare bulbs...

We had the bare bulb fashion going in the children's hallway for 7 years...

3/27/2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger jle said...

What beautiful details in your house! Those windows and grates--reminiscent of my grandmother's house in Portland, Oregon. As a kid i was fascinated by the fact that she had windows in her closets. I'm with you in remodeling hell--haven't had sheetrock on my living room walls since late summer 2005. i just keep repeating "it will be worth it when it's done" over and over... ;-)

3/31/2007 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home