Chuchería

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The Red Pen Blues

Well, my plan to take a mental health day last Friday was thwarted by a freak snow/ice storm Thursday evening, resulting in most of the area schools to have a snow day. March certainly came in like a lion this year. Rootin' for the lamb to do its thing at the end of the month.

So, with my extra day of freedom, why do I still have a monster stack of papers to grade? Because just looking at the stack exhausts me. Because I know that when I get to certain students' papers, I will hang my head in frustration and wonder what the hell goes through their minds some days. Because I hate grading papers.

Sometimes I play a game where I look at a student's name before I tally their scores and predict what their grade will be. I'm usually right. If I'm not it's either because the kid was having an "off" day, to either positive or negative results; or because the test I've given is not so good, or I haven't covered the material adequately. Sometimes it's a combination of all.Which is why I have to grade papers. And I hate it.

In May, I won't care, though. Because in May, Mr. T and I are going here. The girls will go to Camp Grandma and we will make a little weekend out of it in the Windy City.

12 Comments:

Blogger happychyck said...

I got the blues bad, too. I did make it through my stack of papers after an 8-hour marathon on Sunday, except for my night class, which I just finished today. No rest for the wicked...I have persuasive papers to give feedback on that I promised would be back by the end of the week. Makes me want to drink away my blues...

3/06/2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

You lucky, lucky girl...
I am just reading Wicked...
I am so interested in how they adapted it...
I have the music... But am so curious as who they could make it into a musical...

3/07/2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger Pissed Off said...

I've seen almost everything on Broadway. Wicked is my all time favorite. It ruins you for anything else.

This weekend I finally got to see Mama Mia. While it was good, it was no Wicked. I'm planning on going again. I just wish tickets weren't so damn expensive.

3/07/2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

I LOVED Mama Mia- the NY touring company came to Des Moines several years ago- the girls like the soundtrack, too.

3/07/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger ms. whatsit said...

I hear that Wicked is wickedly good!

I can't wait for summer break too.

3/07/2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

I saw Wicked in Tampa and it was soooo good. You will love it!. And I feel your pain about grading papers, only because as a grad student, I did a lot of it.

3/07/2007 7:28 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

I'm in grading hell, too. End of the quarter next week, Got through maybe a thrid today but I have papers and projects due for the nexy 3-4 days, so it's just going to get worse.

It's sapping all the energy right out of me.

3/07/2007 8:04 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

Papers, even as a part time teacher, follow me around all school year long, in and out of my bag. They are like white lint, or maybe white dog hair on a black wool skirt that shouldn't have been thrown into the washing machine. The follow me and I have grown so impervious that I just accept the stress they represent.

I quit teaching writing because, among many reasons, reading the papers was just too too much. So many rewrites, so many mistakes. I felt like a failure, their writing was awful, decontextualized grammar never applied where it belonged...I didn't have the patience for it.

enjoy your weekend away, it is time for us to do this too...

3/08/2007 2:38 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

I think I posted when I really should have been asleep. Nice typing.

Only two and a half months until summer.

3/08/2007 6:56 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

You'll have to do a recap on how Wicked is!

Here's hoping your mental health day can be rescheduled. :)

3/08/2007 3:54 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

I HATE grading papers. HATE. IT. Except for the very few moments where I can see that a student has gotten it/is getting it/WANTS to get it, it's usually just a whole lotta banging my head against my desk.

3/09/2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I am jealous!

WICKED jealous! ;-)

3/13/2007 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home