Chuchería

Sunday, April 08, 2007

El Rey de la Cerveza

Remember how I told you we ran into a guy Mr. T knows from the music "scene" we've got here? (Oh, yes- we've got a scene.) We rendez-voused with him and his family at Charlie Vega's Rendez-vous Barbeque in downtown Memphis. Great ribs- they do a dry barbeque, which I wasn't sure I'd like, but I sure did. When we travel, we like to partake of the local fare when we can.

We also like to imbibe of the local spirits whenever possible. Yuengling beer in Pennsylvania (as an aside, we had it at Disneyworld, too), Goose Island in Chicago, Amana beer here in Eastern Iowa. I had a mint julep in the Peabody Hotel lobby while in Memphis. Here's my take on the mint julep: brush your teeth with really minty toothpaste. Do a shot of whiskey. There's your mint julep.

Ok, so, we're at the Rendez-vous and the waiter comes to take our drink orders-sweet tea for the little girls and what kind of beer do you have? He rattles off the old standards and then we hear him say "Busted Leg". Immediately intrigued, Mr. T asked if that was a local, micro-brewed beer. The waiter chuckled and shook his head no. I was still going on about this "Busted Leg", I'd never heard of it- I imagined it to be like Fat Tire or Wicked Pete's. Oh, yes, I'd love to try a nice, cold Busted Leg. Imagine me saying it just as Northern as possible- not quite like the school secretary in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but almost.

Imagine our surprise and overwhelming feeling of being very White and very Yankee when the waiter served us this:



If you still don't get it, say it slowly, lazily and with a bit of a Southern drawl and pretend you are a 20-something Black man. Bud Select.

Busted Leg. The King of ....?

6 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

Ha! That is too funny!

4/09/2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

Nice!

Too bad you guys dont get Deschutes Brewery stuff out there, that stuff is to die for. Come to Portland and we will show you around the beer.

As for Ferris Bueller, as I interview I was joking that I really don't want to end up in a school like that, with the secretary sniffing the white out and the history teacher ...

And in 1836...anyone? anyone?

I laugh at that movie every time, like a sucker.

4/09/2007 1:54 AM  
Blogger karenmf said...

Ha - too funny! I also love to try local beer when I travel and Busted Leg sounds like it could be a good beer hehe!
As adeline said, Deschutes is GREAT - I had some when I was in Oregon last summer - wish I could some some here.

4/09/2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Busted Leg. Lucky you.

If you make it to NYC, stick with Brooklyn Brown, which is really excellent.

4/09/2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

The waiter is probably entertaining his friends with stories of the sad little Yankees who thought they'd discovered a brand new beer. :-) Funny!

My husband adores Yuengling & is SO HAPPY that we're back in Pennsylvania now & can get it anywhere.

4/09/2007 11:46 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

That is too funny! Now, is Busted Leg better than they ole regular redneck version?

4/09/2007 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home