Chuchería

Friday, April 20, 2007

Where Have all the Waldos Gone?

Anyone else who teaches the Adolescent Set deal with any 4/20 nonsense today? For those not "in the know", 4/20 and 4:20 and 420 means many things- not the least of which has to do with Hitler's birthday and the anniversary of the Columbine shootings, but more commonly having to do with the universally agreed upon time and date where one should imbibe a bit of weed. Interestingly, virtually none of my students uttered a peep about it. Our Dean of students however, at the top of his daily emailed memo re: suspended students, etc. that he sends out to the entire staff
looked like this:

"Friday, April 20, 2007 *smoke'em if you've got'em ;)".

The hell? Of course, there is a part of me that laughs, because it' kinda funny, but he's the freaking DEAN for the love of Christ. Inner Priss is having a hissy. Should one make dope jokes in so public a forum when one's role is disciplinarian of dope smokers? Funny to say, yes, but to put on your "professional" memo? Uh, no.

PS You have to read the link about the history of 420 to get the title of the post.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nic said...

Supposedly the reason I had a lot of absences today was in "celebration" of 4/20.

The Dean thing is definitely a little weird. Of course, when I read that, I visualized our VP of Curriculum sending out something like that, and he looks and acts like the boss in "Office Space", so.....um, yeah. Doesn't quite jibe with the image.

4/20/2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Funny you should ask! My son was telling me after school that the cops came and arrested a lot of kids from his High School for weed. Now I read it in your blog, and am fascinated how this bit of "subculture" flows across the nation. Maybe cops are smarter than I thought. But, probably not.

4/20/2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

While I was writing the date on the board yesterday I was thinking, "Oh no! I hope I don't hear about this crap all day." It was practically a holiday at the high school where I used to teach, but I didn't hear any of my students say anything. I don't think I have many drug users in my middle school set. I'm sure that among my night school students, there were plenty who did not attend class last night in celebration of 4/20.

4/21/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Shawnee said...

Am I the only one that didn't know about this? I'm such a square. Using the word "square" isn't gonna help me either, is it?

Mrs. T, send me your email addy so I can interview you! (utterlybrilliant at gmail dot com)

4/25/2007 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home