Chuchería

Friday, May 11, 2007

Cinco de Mayo, a little belated

Just when I think nothing my students do can surprise me, they surprise me.
As you may know, last Sat. was Cinco de Mayo, which is a significant day in Mexican history, but is by no means celebrated in Mexico to the extent that it is in this country. I still like acknowledge it in my classes, mostly because I want to set the record straight with the kids, so they know that it is NOT Mexican Independence Day and who Pancho Villa was (a total Bad Ass, I might add).
Well, last week, I just couldn't pull it all together and wasn't up for the kids having a Fiesta day on Friday. So, I told them they could festejar today. I typed up lists of suggested goodies they could bring to contribute. We've been reading about tapas, so I suggested a tortilla española, olives, manchego cheese, paella, etc.
A bunch of kids volunteered. I figured most of them would forget- just like they do with their homework.
But, you know what? Those little buggers came through. Several kids made flan from scratch. A girl made pineapple empanadas, another made sopaipillas, a kid in each class made a "tres leches" cake. Several moms made sopa de arroz and pans of enchiladas. Someone brought in tamales. The soda they brought was all Jarritos brand- and someone even made and brought horchata.
I love doing things with the kids in a "non academic" setting- food days, games, field trips. It's so fun to see them interact and to be able to talk to them one on one. They are so cute- several of them were really proud of what they made, as well they should have been.
And? Even though it was technically a non teaching day for me, I am exhausted.

9 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

Sopaipillas??? Wow...I haven't had those is ages. YUM!!!

What a fun day you and the students had!

5/12/2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Exhausted from eating so many tasty things?

5/12/2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger Nic said...

Tres leches and horchata....the perfect meal.

5/12/2007 9:09 AM  
Blogger Mary Witzl said...

I used to love Cinco de Mayo -- the music, the food, the general feeling that it was a holiday. None of us had the tiniest clue what it was all about; something to do with the French and their expulsion from Mexico was all we knew.

5/12/2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Man, my boogers can't have food that isn't pre-packaged. Some brought some tempting Panamanian desserts, etc. for example (we used the day as an excuse to celebrate all Latino culture), but couldn't share with peers. *sigh* Your experience sounds rich--and rico!

5/12/2007 7:23 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

How cool!!
They love you...something they are sure to not forget any time soon...

5/12/2007 10:37 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

You are a truly great teacher... as reflected by this party...

5/16/2007 10:44 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Doing things in a non-academic setting is often the best way to learn. It's certainly fun! I'm glad you all had a great time. Here's to parties!

5/17/2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Sounds like a great class. I'm a little hungry and I kinda wish I was there right now.

5/19/2007 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home