Chuchería

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ketchup

Just a bit of an update for your reading pleasure. I'm in end of term mode, so it's Lists Aplenty in the Casa de T.

1. To the recently divorced, attractive colleague of mine who is in her mid 30's and is now not-so-discreetly dating the brand new baby science teacher: First of all, good for you, girl! And second of all, nothing says (screams, really) "Hey! We're sleeping together!" like coming to work together in the morning. (Inner Priss is having an issue with this one.)

2. Staring at piles of papers to correct, I silently impart wisdom on some of my students- "Hey, Dummy! If you'd actually do some homework once in a while and maybe didn't sprawl all over the desk during class and sat up and paid some attention, you'd have done lots better on that test!"

3. Going to see Wicked this Saturday! Mr. T and I will have a nice little weekend in the Windy City while the girls go to Camp Grammy. Of course the forcast looks bleak. I will undoubtedly pack all the wrong clothes as I have done on every previous trip to Chicago. Too warm , too cold, too rainy.

4. I leave for Spain 2 weeks from tomorrow! Me, my wonderful friend and colleague and 15 teenagers. Am feeling every possible emotion all at once. Sooo excited, yet stressed, worried, sad about leaving Mr T and girls.....

5. Last weekend went to see classmates of the girls- they had a "gig" at a local coffee shop- amazing talent in these 2 boys; one in 1st grade, the other in 4th. I felt good about indoctrinating the girls into the world of live music- especially when you know the band. I've always dated guys in bands- it seemed perfectly natural to haul the girls along. Mr T helped them pack up all their equipment- the boys' grandmother later commented on "what a nice kid" he is. She thought he was like 25. Here we were several years ago. Neither of us was 25 then, either.


6. I feel guilty for not wanting to have a speaking component to my final- mostly due to logistics. Anyone have any advice? Suggestions? I've got Spanish 1 and 2 right now. We use the book "En Español" (hate it).

That's all for now.

8 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

I;ve seen teachers get around this by sitting outside the classroom and do the oral while kids are inside studying the few days before class is really over, of course this depends on the number of days you have left, and if you are leaving for spain in 2 weeks, it may be too late for this...

Have a blast! I jealous...

5/23/2007 10:38 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I haven't done an oral part on the final yet, though I've only had the joy of the Spanish classes and the very same inconvenient textbook 1.5 years. No one has called me on it, but one day I do intend to have multiple "authentic" components. With my English classes, I have different parts of projects or portfolio-type assessments due before exam day, so perhaps if over the next few days while others are studying (or something), you could call individuals out and get that part done before the final? I'd like to see what you end up doing that I might,perhaps, rip it off!

5/24/2007 5:11 PM  
Blogger happychyck said...

When I took Reality Spanish for Teachers (LOL) a few years ago, we had an oral assessment that we recorded. Actually, it was some online assessment tool that we logged onto at the end of the course. I'd think some sort of recording tool might be the ticket, but I'd personally rather go by Adeline's suggestion because I'd probably run out of time to actually listen to the recordings.

5/24/2007 7:14 PM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

I just gave a speaking test to two classes, and it took days of my sitting outside and talking to individual kids. I don't know if there's a better way, but it sure wasted a lot of class time.

5/24/2007 8:54 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

When we were in Spain my husband kept ordering Dos cervesas por favor...
I do not drink beer... he could never just order one...
I still giggle as it is the only time he tried to'speak' a foreign language...
And when he asked for La quenta... the server would always look to me for translation...

What a lucky woman you are... I just loved Spain...

5/26/2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

You drove all the way to Chicago from Iowa to see Wicked? I hope it was worth it! I live not thirty minutes away and still haven't dragged my ass over to the play; I keep hearing mixed reviews. I did read the book, however, which left me nonplussed. I'm interested in what you thought.

5/27/2007 6:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Belleza, I'm only 21/2-3 hours from Chicago- I live on the Illinois border. LOVED Wicked, although I have heard that the book is not so good.
Pendullum- I am sooo looking forward to Spain! I'll drink a Sangria for you.
NYC- that classtime wasted is just what I'm trying to avoid.
Happychyck- it's the listening to the recordings that makes me crazy. Even if you have some sort of rubric- who's to say if you're grading the ones you first listened to the same as the last ones?
Laura- I may give them a list of questions they should be able to answer or topics they should be able to discuss and then do a random check? I don't know.
Adeline- I think I may just take the easy way out. Too much on my mind!

5/27/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Mister Teacher said...

Awww. . . Here I got all excited thinking you were going to post about my favorite food, Ketchup!
But then I got a little bit excited after reading all of the comments involving teachers and the word "oral"...
(sorry)

5/30/2007 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home