Chuchería

Monday, August 20, 2007

1 Down, 184 to go!

Today wasn't so bad, save for the fact that I'd had way too much coffee and not nearly enough sleep. Tomorrow, we are to attend district required subject-area meetings. All day. To top it off, the new "head" of the foreign language aka "world languages" department knows nothing about foreign language-he's a former social studies teacher. Excellent. He has planned for us to work on literacty strategies-read alouds, think alouds and QAR's. All day. There's going to be mutiny, I promise. For once it won't be from me, instead I will enjoy the show, sit back and watch others spontaneously combust. Oh, they'll be compliant for about the first hour and a half. Then, it will get ugly. People won't come back after lunch, feigning appointments and headaches and diarrhea.

More stuff:

1. Do you ever get excited when you see that the number of comments is greater than the last time you checked? Only to realize that the last comment was one that you left yourself in answer to other's comments? Me too.

2. Why didn't I read "A Prayer for Owen Meany" until just now? I am reading it for my book club and I LOVE it. Love. I laugh out loud, I cry. I'd forgotten how much I truly enjoy John Irving. Reading his stuff is like putting on an old shoe.

3. Mr. T has a new job! He's a new IT guy at a local college. Do you know what that means to the Familia T? Um, free college tuition! Woo hoo!

4. A friend of mine attended college in the south and described the requisite meal she had at practically every back-to-school event: fried chicken, watermelon, and sweet tea. This is my summertime dinner menu a la Iowa: strong unsweetened iced tea with lots of ice, BLT on toasted wheat bread with extra crispy bacon and perfectly ripe tomatoes on the verge of splitting open in the warm humid air, sweet corn, ice cold Muscatine melon- not to be confused with the common cantaloupe. Here's what I'm talking about:



Do you see the ridges? They are perfect for cutting along to make tidy little crescents of melon to eat.
What's summertime food where you live?

5 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Love your description of teacher meetings, and I especially like Mr. T's new job. Do you think he could get a job for my wife?

Free tuition! That's excellent and beyond.

8/21/2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger happychyck said...

Okay, I have to go read A Prayer for Owen Meany. I started it once, but didn't get to far. I LOVE Irving, but I have to be in the right mood.

Score big time on the free tuition! Super cool!

8/21/2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

crum, i wrote a mensaje but it got eaten.

i must try this curious and delicious sounding Muscatine melon.

Melon es la unica palabra que mi hija sabe bien en espanol.


Your husband and mine not only do the same thing, but do in in the same place too.

August is a very slow month for comments and I am starting to think I need to just give up.

Summer food, welllll to be honest, it is lately that chicken mango salad thing I posted, but I think I could do better than that, I guess I always think of hamburgers potato salad and beer, but not just "any" one of these, they must fulfill a particular criteria, like craft beer, red potato salad and hamburgers made with really good fresh everything.

8/22/2007 1:44 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Well, we don't consider it summertime eating, but year-round...here in Tennessee it's BBQ, sweet-tea with lots of ice, cole slaw, and lemon bars for dessert.

8/22/2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

Water! LOL

Summer food in the desert? Watermelons are always good when it's hot outside. I'll be adding your blog to my education blogs list.

9/03/2007 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home