Chuchería

Monday, August 13, 2007

Target? or Tar-ghetto?

When I was in college, my friends distinguished between the 2 Target stores in Des Moines as "Target"- in West Des Moines, and "Tar-ghetto", in, well, NOT West Des Moines. It still makes me chuckle. The faux-French-sounding "Tar-zhay", however, does not. It makes me cringe.

Why is it that every time I get a $5 "gift card" from Target in the mail (you get $5 off any $75 purchase) I leave it at home or only spend $50 if I actually manage to bring it with me before it expires?

And why have the locusts descended upon the dry erase markers in the Target store? Do people only need them at this time of year? Do they think they won't ever be able to buy them again?

While I'm at it, I will confess to you, my blogging friends, that this evening, at Target, I purchased a pair of shoes that a) I do not need; b)are not very comfortable and c) are kind of impractical. BUT, they were: 1) ON SALE - we're talking less than $5; 2)soooo cute- kind of a champagne colored espadrille with some bead work on the toe; and 3)shoes. I'm kind of obsessed right now. I made up for it by buying another $4.24 pair of basic black sandals that are comfortable and practical.



I used to think that CNN was a serious news channel. I thought that I could tune in at any time of day and find out what was happening in the world. No longer. CNN, you are dead to me. Paris and Britney and Nicole are NOT late-breaking news. They are fodder for our desire to be entertained by the bad behavior of others. I was going to say that CNN was just a step above Fox, but really, I think they are the same.
Grandpa John says that we should tune in to Lou Dobbs, though. He thinks Lou's the man. Me? I get the news I need on the weather report... I can gather all the news I need on the weather report... (sorry, couldn't resist the Simon and Garfunkel reference there. 10 points if you can name the song. Not responsible for song sticking in your head for days.) Anyway, I actually get much of my news from the Daily Show. Really.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

I am glad you referenced the Simon and Garf song because it was ringing in my ears at the same time i read it.

i posted about something sorta similar re what is news and what is irresponsible...

i am out of this world pleased that i got spirals for 10cents each this year. how does that happen? can it happen to dry erase markers too? why are those things so flippin expensive and will they ever make one that doesn't dry up in a nanosecond if the cap isn't clicked just so?

do they realise how much explaining that takes to esl students?? And how much it costs teachers? i think they do and they are doing their evil laugh all the way to the bank. dang, i need to get my own blog, huh?

8/13/2007 11:19 PM  
Blogger ms. whatsit said...

I often think as I am strolling down the aisles of Target, that there must be some very quiet subliminal message playing "Buy more...Buy more." I was just there this evening and I ended up with a few impulse purchases too.

As for the news, I don't watch any of it any more. The talking heads are just too annoying for my disposition.

8/14/2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Target takes my money. All of it. Every time.

8/15/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Pissed Off said...

I ge my news not only from Daily Show but the Colbert Report also. Maybe that is why I have a jaded point of view about the world.

8/16/2007 8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home