Chuchería

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Why I Love My Students Part 1

I've mentioned before how I HATE our textbook. This would not be so bad, save for the fact that our district is moving toward a robotic, "thou shalt all be on the same page, literally, on the same day" philosophy. So, we gots to all use the book to its fullest potential. Still, I try to squeeze some interesting bits out of it. In my Spanish 3 class, the vocab theme in this chapter is food (all things they should have learned much, much earlier) and art. What the hell? How random, but whatever, we deal. So, I'm doing my dog and pony show, casting pearls before swine (just kidding, I love my students) and we are talking about art-in Spanish. I posed the question ¿Cuál es la diferencia entre el arte tradicional y el arte moderno? Most of the kids were desperately trying not to make eye contact, but one kid- you know the one- the one who laughs at your little witticisms that you say to keep yourself sane throughout the day? Yeah, you know the one. He raises his hand and I could see that he was forming his thoughts, and he comes up with this: "El arte tradicional es de este mundo, y el arte moderno es de otro mundo- el mundo de la cabeza del artista." WOW. He was the only one who got it when I made my "You are without Ruth" comment (ruthless, get it?)when they were dragging some poor teacher through the wringer. AND, he thought the "monja - jamón/ atún - tuna" bits were amusing. We might be the only ones.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

see now i used to be right there with you, this is the soviet style of teaching, all teachers in russia across 11 time zones are supposed to LITERALLY be one the same page in each subject on any given day. yeesh.

BUT! After having taught every different level of every different sheltered content and straight ESL/ELD for the past five years, and after seldom getting to teach the same class 2 times, I am VERY ready for some standardization in curriculum so that each teacher who teaches these subjects does not have to recreate the wheel each time, because it takes ALOT OF TIME and it is ALOT of trial and error. Teaching creatively is fun, liberating, it is also hard hard work on the prep side. Sometimes the idea of having someone give me some inkling of what skills they taught at what level or even some clue of what they covered is welcoming. I know if I went back to spanish, I would get that. Bust sometimes I wish that it would get to be a little more that way with ELD...so I could quit recreating this wheel...

9/19/2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

Art in Spanish? So will you be covering Spanish and Mexican artists as well?

9/20/2007 12:08 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Adeline, this is why I don't teach ESL any more. Loved it, loved the kids. Too much of my own creation.

Vegas art guy- I do what I can. We mainly focused on Mexican painters yesterday, since I have a video, and also the textbook aligns itself as such in this current chapter. I'm itching to talk more about Spanish painters, esp. after having gone to Spain and having seen some of the Great Works of Art.

9/20/2007 6:33 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Clever kid. Too bad the idiots who run your district lack his imagination.

9/21/2007 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home