Chuchería

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Oh, do I have a blog?

Yikes, talk about a dry spell!
So it's Finals Week for me right now and I have a heinous amount of papers to correct. Of course that means I should blog! Just like in college when I had an entire term paper to write the night before it was due and decided to go shopping that afternoon.

It's that time of the term- all of a sudden, the kids are way focused on their grades. Never mind that they've known for weeks that they've had projects, etc. that were due now. They make me crazy with their "Do you have my quiz corrected yet?" and "What grade do I have to get on the final to get an A?" and "How did I get an F on that quiz?"

That last one I just got today. This dumb girl (I'm sorry, she really is dumb) was absent on quiz day, took the quiz last Friday and asked to see it today. I showed it to her- it was a 57%, which is an F. She could not believe she had gotten an F, snuffling and snorting "HOW???", to which I replied, "Well, you got a whole bunch wrong." That's what I said, but what I meant was "You were lucky to do as well as you did, because you're really not that great of a student." I then got a call from the girl's mother saying that the girl was really upset because she thought she'd aced it and could she retake it. I'm not a big fan of the retake, but I said she could take it again, but it would be a different quiz and that I'd average the 2 grades. The part she messed up was over the future tense- she put half of them in the present tense. The quiz she will take tomorrow is WAY harder than the original one. Did I mention I suspect she may have gotten answers from someone else, since it was a makeup quiz for her?
Here's the kicker: she's at a 75% for her final grade for the term. The quiz is 45 points out of a total of like 1000. Even if she got a 100% (which she won't)on the quiz, it won't affect her term grade. If I were nice (which I'm not)I would have told her and the mother this. But I didn't. Now, she will have to study and fret tonight and come in early tomorrow morning and retake a quiz that will have zero impact on her grade at this point.
Did I mention that she's a snot?

3 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

You know I wish that you could say to kids "the reason why you should be nice to me and make my life easy by not being a pain in the arse is because I control your grade"

but alas, I never say this. But the idea that a kid gets a good grade because I like them has never flown either, I do give good grades to snotty students who work hard, unless they make other kids act snotty too.

10/25/2007 12:06 AM  
Blogger Pissed Off said...

I love the way you think.

10/25/2007 2:43 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

Nice way to give in...and take pleasure from it! I like the way your mind works.

10/26/2007 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home