Chuchería

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Treats




Tonight was Trick or Treat night in my town. We always do it on the 30th, because there is a parade on the 31st. It's always at night, downtown, so there are streelights. They are pretty adamant about it being held on the exact day of Halloween, too. Here are my girls. In Claire's class their costume had to be a book character, so she went as the Grouchy Ladybug- complete with angry eyebrows and boxing gloves ("Hey you!Wanna fight?"). Lydia was a cowgirl- do you like her horse? She named it Blanche.







And here are the fruits of their labor. 2 candy buckets full o' candy. I used to be kind of a Nazi about their intake. "Only 3 pieces! Only 3 pieces! Three pieces, I tell you!" Then, I backed off and realized that if I let them have at it (within reason- I really don't want to clean up barf...), they really only are interested the first couple of days. They eat the good stuff with abandon (or is it without abandon?) and then lose interest. By Thanksgiving, we are usually down to Tootsie Rolls, Dum Dums and what I like to call "parade candy"- you know- the kind they throw at parades.


Do you remember spreading your loot out on the living room floor and practically rolling around in it? Did it look like this?




And do you also remember sorting your candy? Like this?



Notice the pile of parade candy. That will be there for a long time. And the Almond Joy? Mr. T will eat that- what kid likes Almond Joy? Maybe a couple, but I can guarantee none of them like Mounds. And Smarties? Not really a fan. I like to have Smarties and Dum Dums in my classroom to give as Bingo prizes, though. It's usually lost on the kids, but I think it's funny.



What you'll notice here is a very respectable number of M&M's and Tootsie Rolls of varying sizes and varieties. Not bad. Also, several Butterfingers (my personal favorites), a Payday bar, couple of Nestle Crunch (could really do without that particular candy bar...) and some Nerds, a lone tube of Whoppers (yum) and a full-sized package of bubblegum from the neighbors up the street who don't get many trick or treaters.





Kit-Kats seemed to be the winner this year (though you can't see that in the picture), with Reese's being a close second. What was with the bag of chips? Just so the kids could flaunt their goodie bags and proclaim truthfully that they had gotten the proverbial "all that AND a bag of chips?" A small pile of Sweet-tarts to remind me of my childhood. Remember those little paper packages of 3 Sweet-tarts? It seemed like we got TONS of them and they were hardly worth the effort of opening them. I liked them and all, but I much preferred to have a whole roll to suck on while reading. I'd suck on them until they dissolved and the roof of my mouth was completely ripped apart. Good times. Not so good in the Snickers department this year- pretty lame, in fact. Starbursts had a good showing, though, and the 100Grand coming in at a 12-way tie with many others for dead last.



This last picture shows some nostalgic candy- do you see the orange-wrapped candy next to the Mary Jane (heh-heh, my kid got Mary Jane in her candy bag....)? That's peanut butter taffy that I hated when I was a kid, and it seemed like we got it from everyone. Now, I like it. There is also Laffy Taffy, Bottlecaps (which is kinda funny now, since most kids have never had soda out of an actual bottle with a cap), gummy creepy crawlies, Tootsie Pops (the orange ones are the absolute best and the thing about the Indian on the wrapper is just a myth, thank you Food Network)and some "candy sticks", once called candy cigarettes that were sooooo much fun when we were kids and would send most parents into an early grave if their kids had one in their possession.

So what were/are your favorite Halloween treats? I remember there was always a family in my neighborhood who gave apples, one who gave homemade cookies, one who gave bags of popcorn, one who gave caramel apples to the first lucky few through their door and always one house that handed out full sized candy bars. The cookies usually broke, I was never allowed to eat the apple and the popcorn was pretty stale. Some lame-o gave pennies and nickels and a very well-intentioned neighborhood dentist always gave out toothbrushes. My daughters get little plastic bottles of juice every year from the same family. It's yucky, but they like it and kind of look forward to it. They got Goldfish crackers (lame!) and plastic toys like yo-yos and clackers from some lady who obviously doesn't have children nor has any recollection of ever having been a child herself. Those yo yos never work and those damn clackers get thrown out inside of a week because they drive us all nuts.
But enough about us. Tell us about your treats!

8 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

Interesting post, but I must dissent on Almond Joy and particularly Mounds, which I adored when I was a kid.

My kid doesn't go till tonight, so thanks for the heads-up.

10/31/2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Professor J said...

I always liked season-specific candy. So I liked the peanut butter kisses wrapped in orange and black paper and the pumpkin heads.

10/31/2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

I'm with nyc educator--I loved Mounds when I was a kid. That and any kind of chocolate was the best.

Now I'm still a chocolate bar fiend, and I'll make my kids share, but I like Tootsie rolls the best.

I always hated getting bubble gum. What was that kind? Double Bubble? Hard to chew and tasted like industrial glue after a few minutes. I would have loved to have gotten an entire package of Bubble Yum!

10/31/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

I'm an Almond Joy and Reese's peanut butter cup fan myself. I tend to give out chocolate candy to the few kids that come by my house - tonight, very few. It's Wednesday, in the South, and the Baptists are all having church services and special Halloween (although they don't call it that, they call it "felloween") festivals for their members.

10/31/2007 8:05 PM  
Blogger girlfiend said...

I LOVED Mounds bars as a kid. One of my neighbors gives out candy apples to the neighborhood kids- only the neighborhood kids.

My favorite are Take Five bars. They must be new. I only found out about them last year. They are amazing. I just wish they made them with dark chocolate.

We gave out full size bars to the neighborhood kids and snack size to the rest.

11/01/2007 9:03 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

Smarties are like the heroine of the candy world to me. 7 gram pure hit of processed sugar and chemicals. I got through college on smarties and coffee.

But now I am so much more refined, I am a sucker for starbursts on the artificial candy side, and m n m's snickers and reeses on the chocolate side (because there are sides, you know ;o)

11/01/2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Teacher lady said...

I TOTALLY remember sorting my candy! Why did we do that? I can't remember; I think trading was involved. I thought my mother was giving away the worst "treats" ever - individual cups of applesauce - until my niece and nephew came back with Jesus coloring books.

11/04/2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情色,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

情色文學,色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,AVDVD,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,成人論壇


av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊

A片,A片,A片下載,做愛,成人電影,.18成人,日本A片,情色小說,情色電影,成人影城,自拍,情色論壇,成人論壇,情色貼圖,情色,免費A片,成人,成人網站,成人圖片,AV女優,成人光碟,色情,色情影片,免費A片下載,SEX,AV,色情網站,本土自拍,性愛,成人影片,情色文學,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人貼圖

3/05/2009 2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home