Chuchería

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Book Chat



These two little girls, Betsy and Tacy, are the main characters of a much loved and often overlooked series of books published in the 1940's, written by Maud Hart Lovelace. They are based on the author's growing up in Mankato, MN. There are 10 in the series and my girls and I are currently reading the 8th book, Betsy and Joe, which is unfortunately out of print, causing me to buy it on ebay for lots of dollars. I did get a nice old library copy, but it was still spendy.

I somehow missed these books as a kid, which is too bad because I would have liked them. My daughters and I close each day reading aloud from these books. We started last fall. In time, we have been there with the Ray family, watching the girls grow up and learning a lot about what life was like at the turn of the century. It's interesting to see that so much of being a kid is timeless.

I am loving reading the books as well- I will miss these characters when I'm not visiting them every day. Betsy's parents are fun- her dad owns a shoestore, her mom is just the perfect amount of involved in her daughters' lives- always supportive of them in whatever their dreams are.

They may be a bit old fashioned, but to me, they are the Girl Power books of their day and are a delight.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger CLM said...

When I had to move four hours from my nieces, I made a cassette of Betsy-Tacy for them so we could maintain our shared love of these books! Now the first book is available on CD, but they prefer my rendition, even with the occasional cough.

Some day you might enjoy visiting Mankato, MN, where the books are set, with your daughters.

http://www.betsy-tacysociety.org/

12/02/2007 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home