Chuchería

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan



It's Wed, which means I'm supposed to do a book chat.
One of my book groups just read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. It's about 2 girls living in China during the last century, I believe. They are of middle class background and thus have their feet bound. I found myself fascinated and horrified by this whole barbaric process. The bones in their feet actually break and it smelled terrible, not to mention the danger that the girl could die. They began the foot binding at age 6 or 7- can you imagine?
The focus of the story was the friendship between these 2 girls and the secret women's writing that they used to communicate with each other. It is told from Lily's point of view, who is now an old woman wanting to set the record straight. I found the author's voice to be very intimate and her descriptions of life in China at that time were incredible.
I highly recommend this book- it's a quick read and it will immediately draw you in. You will find yourself caring about these characters as if they were real people.

3 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

I need to read this one. Did you read Peony in Love? I think that is the book that comes after this one. I was spellbound while reading that book. The whole foot binding process was as you say, fascinating and horrific.

I will go to the library to day to find this book - Thanks!

11/08/2007 9:08 AM  
Blogger NYC Educator said...

Thanks for the recommendation. That sounds like a great book for ESL students.

11/08/2007 3:39 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

I loved this book, despite the fact that I read it last year when I was recovering from surgery on both of my feet. Needless to say, the foot-binding pages made me very sympathetic. I thought it told the story of relationships period, not only of friendship, but between mother/daughter, husband/wife, upper class/middle class...It was a fascinating book. I haven't read her others, but I hear Peony (I think that's the name?) is also good.

11/11/2007 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home