Chuchería

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Teacher Talk Tuesday #4

As much as I hate the feel of chalk on my fingers, I have a problem with the whiteboards. The markers don't last very long, and then what? They get thrown out. How much of our landfills are going to be full of markers? Not to mention the whiteboards themselves? In the school where I taught previously, we had slate chalkboards, original to the building built in 1923. In some of the rooms the boards had gotten trashed by some dummy who put tape all over them, but most were wonderfully in tact. Think about how cheap chalk is and environmentally friendly, too!
It's weird- I am both old enough and young enough to have experienced both film projectors and filmstrip projectors as well as VCRs and DVD players. I have worked with an ELMO/ media cart AND an opaque projector. Xerox printer/copier AND a mimeograph machine. One building even had an old and a new mimeo machine- one of them you hand-cranked!

My husband had an aunt who was a teacher in the early part of the 1900's. She taught in a one room schoolhouse and had to come in to school with "the team" (of horses) to start up the small stove that would heat their school. In the dead of winter, she would sometimes board with a family closer in town so that she wasn't spending so much time on the road in the dark.

Compare that with now- I take attendance on the computer, the kids drive cars to school. I am most certainly not allowed to even touch the thermostat! We have discovered, though, that if you lay a wet paper towel over it, it will kick on the heat in a cold room.

Many things have changed, but I'll bet that if we could time travel, we'd see that lots of things have stayed the same.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

good grief, I had 50, count em, 50 markers disappear in the 1st 2 months of school this year. new teacher i was, kids didn't care. How could so many go? Thank God I bought them with school money and not my own!

11/28/2007 12:52 AM  
Blogger Professor J said...

Yes, the markers. They run out of ink (sometimes unbelievably quickly), other teachers liberate them, and they stink.

I prefer chalk dust.

11/28/2007 12:24 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

Hi there. I miss chalk too. I am not a teacher but I spent a day at an elementary school for the Great American Teach-In and they all had dry-erase wipe off boards. Hmmpf.

And on a totally different subject, I was just looking at your profile. We have a lot in common. On my Thanksgiving trip home, I re-read To Kill A Mockingbird. (best book ever.) And I hardly know anybody who liked the movie "Raising Arizona" as much as I did. Thanks for commenting on my meager blog and for being a friend!

11/28/2007 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home