Chuchería

Thursday, November 08, 2007

What's That Smell?


Thirteen Perfumes that Mrs. T Has Worn


I am a very olfactory oriented person, which at times has been both a blessing and a curse. I LOVE perfume, but at the same time certain scents can give me an instant headache. Certain smells remind me of particular times in my life or I associate them with certain people. I'm going to start with the most recent and go as deep into my past as I can until I hit 13. Are you ready? Let's go!

1….
This is what I wear a lot- yeah, me and Marilyn Monroe. I love how it smells- very soft and classic. At one time I had the body cream as well and would layer it with the cologne. I've had the perfume, the cologne, the eau de perfume and I think the eau de toilette. I remember wearing it in college and one of my boyfriends (like I had so many... ) just kept burying his nose in the neck of my fuzzy red angora sweater and inhaling deeply- THAT's how much he loved it. Can't say that he was that much into me... but that's a different story. I've been wearing it for about 20 years and I haven't gotten tired of it. The perfume, not the sweater.

2. Chanel's Chance is my other favorite. It's much more dramatic than No.5- it's one that people actually ask me "What are you wearing?" I can't wear it in the summer, however- it's too heady for me.




3. To quote a review from Now Smell This "Lovely is described as "a "silky white amber" and has notes of mandarin, bergamot, rosewood, lavender, apple martini, patchouli, paper whites, orchid, cedar, white amber, musk and woods.
Lovely starts as a soft citrusy wood scent. There is a touch of lavender, but no corresponding harshness. It dries down to a subdued musky-woods perfume, with distinct notes of rosewood and cedar. The floral notes are extremely muted, the amber is clean, and the patchouli is a mere whisper. I never caught the apple martini at all."
To me, it smells like Aveda hair products- heavenly. I like it, but I think I like it better on other people. Mr. T, on the other hand, LOVES it.




4.
"This playful fragrance from Victoria's Secret incorporates such bubbly notes as freesia, peony, citrus, bergamot, and juniper berry. The result is a fresh and modern floral perfume for the woman who respects tradition but likes to try something new once in a while." I think that describes me very well!
I treated myself to a small bottle of this last spring when we were in Memphis. I was having a pretty bad case of Spring Fever and wanted something springy to spray on myself. I liked it, but I won't like it in a few years. I'm glad I bought a very small bottle of it.



5.

This is from Caswell-Massey, Elixir of Love No.1. It's very floral-kind of reminiscent of Benetton's "Colors", if that means anything to you. It mostly reminds me of when Claire was first born, since that was what I wore a lot of. About a month before she was born we went to Iowa City to do some Christmas shopping downtown. One of my favorite haunts is The Soap Opera (there's one in Madison, too). Mr.T bought me a bottle of this on that day- one of our last outings as a couple without children.



6.

This is Rapture, from Victoria's Secret. I got the whole set- perfume, lotion, bath gel, bubble bath from a guy who was just a friend the Christmas I started dating Mr.T. This friend also had a girlfriend. He bought her skanky underpants from VS. Would YOU want your boyfriend to give another woman perfume from Victoria's Secret?
It's very heavy, sexy perfume. It's too heavy for me anymore.


7.
Ah yes, Trésor, by Lancome. I've gone through several bottles of this- usually when Lancome has a nifty GWP, for which I am a total whore. I wore this when I first started teaching. The Lancome site describes it as: " Romantic. Sensual. Emotional. The elegance of rose, muguet and lilac. The sparkle of apricot blossom. A glorious golden coral, so every drop opens like petals on the skin." To me it means being an independent young woman in the beginning stages of her career. It means beautiful autumn days, staying up late. It's a very nostalgic scent for me.





8.

Oh, I thought I was so sophisticated wearing this! I wore it all through college- it is very heavy and smells fabulous. These fine people describe it as " the result of the following top fragrance notes: mandarin, pimento and coriander. The middle notes are: rose, carnation and cinnamon and the base of the fragrance is: amber vanilla and honey. Coco Chanel perfume is labeled as a classic fragrance." I had 2 bottles of it and was shopping one day with some friends and saw it at the perfume counter and sprayed some on my wrists to see if I still liked it- thinking perhaps I'd get another bottle. I had to ride home with the car windows down it smelled so bad on me! My body chemistry must have changed, because I absolutely cannot wear it anymore. I've tried to several times, but it just reeks. I like it on other people, I just can't wear it anymore.


9.

Well-put by Fragrance x .com: "Anne Klein Perfume by Anne Klein, Anne klein is a classic fragrance introduced in 1984 that posses a soft floral scent to it. It is a refreshing blend of soft powdery flowers as well as white floral notes of gardenia, jasmine, and lily of the valley. It is an elegance is recommend for daytime wear."
This is another one that is nostalgic for me. I wore it late in high school and in college. The funny thing is that I just had a very small bottle of it, but I must have doled it out sparingly enough that I had it for several years. It was never my favorite, but when I wore it, I always thought "Oooh, this smells good!". It reminds me of a sunny fall day on a college campus- and for some reason it always makes me think of this really cool plaid purse I had that I stupidly got rid of.


10.

Perfumania says:"WHITE SHOULDERS perfume by EVYAN was launched in 1945. This fine fragrance contains neroli, tuberose, gardenia and is accented with jasmine, orris and musk. WHITE SHOULDERS is recommended for formal use." Formal use-ha! I wore this in middle school- I think I wanted it because it was mentioned in Starring Sally J. Friedman As Herself, by Judy Blume, which I read over and over and over and over again. And then again.
The perfume I loved- LOVED, I tell you, until one day my junior year in high school, I sprayed it on my wrist and about gagged. Again with the body chemistry. I couldn't wash it off fast enough.

11.



Not to be confused with the Versace fragrance by the same name, THIS was quite the fragrance in the 70s. Yes, you could spray some on and put on your granny square poncho and gauchos and leave the house in style. It was one of my first "real" bottles of cologne- not like that Tinkerbell crap they tried to pawn off on us . Makes me think of roller disco.

12.

If you were in middle school in the late 70s/early 80s, and you are female, then you probably had a bottle of this. You may not have worn it, but you had a bottle of it. Pink perfume, white lid. Smelled like baby products-powder, lotion. Actually, it smells quite nice. I can't imagine wearing it now, mind you, but it definitely has its place among the tweens. I'd rather my daughters wear it than something that smells like gummy bears.





13.
This is Avon's shining star of the 1970's- Sweet Honesty. We had a neighborhood Avon lady who would come to our house. Her name was Louise and she had dark brown hair that she probably went to a beauty parlor to have washed and set once a week. She had these cool Avon bags-blue vinyl- that housed all her wares. Oh, it was quite the event. Sometimes she would leave my mother with a small white tube of lipstick to try, or a tiny glass vial of perfume. I particularly loved it when she'd show us the new novelty bottles of perfume. One Christmas, I got a bottle of Sweet Honesty that looked like this:


And THAT was so cool. The application, however, was a tad awkward- not a spray bottle, you see. The atomizer would have messed with the novelty of the bottle. I'm sure you all had at least one Avon bottle shaped like something and filled with something that would now make you shudder.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



6 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

wow you have alot of fragrances...

Mine were, in my twenties, Jessica McClintock (floral, very very floral)

But round about 25 I started to hate the florals, and I went to the very spicy and musky Sublime by jean Patou.

But inbetween were essential oils from Pike Place market, one called Rain and another one called Sandalwood.

Most everything else seemed to smell on me like toilet paper.

11/08/2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

I wore Sweet Honesty when I was younger--and I also received the little green Christmas bottle!

Fun post. I've been on the quest to find a new perfume for, uhm...about 2 years now. Although I like different scents for different seasons, it's still a commitment!

11/08/2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

adeline- I actually own a bottle of Sublime myself. I like it, but I'm not sure if it's "me" or not.

HappyChyck- It is a committment, and I've been burned before. I don't have the time I used to to troll the perfume counters scouting out a new scent. Good luck to you!

11/09/2007 6:28 AM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

I love your post! I wrote on for a TT one month on perfumes, too, but I've never seen any one else do the same until now. I, too, love all things Chanel especially Chance and Coco Madamoiselle. I just bought Allure, too, but it really is one of those that seems best for night. (Not teaching Spelling.) I've been smelling more and more of Lovely on people, which I do agree smells lovely. It reminds me Francisco Rodriguez's perfume "For Her." Two of my other favorites, and I have a bajillion so this is a sickness, believe me, are Clinique's Aromatics and Gres' Cabotine. Well, one of the best things about fragrance is it always lifts my spirit. And, it always fits!

11/11/2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I came across this post while Googling for Sweet Honesty's info, and it was such a fun read! I was inspired to make a list of my own 13 Fragrances on my own blog, too. I'll definitely visit your blog again.

6/02/2008 3:47 PM  
Blogger E. said...

I was searching for info on Rain perfume by Avon I think & your page came up, tho I didn't see any mention of it. Do you remember it or have any info on it?

2/04/2009 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home