Chuchería

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Baño Update- Sunday Snapshot

I posted a bit about this last year. I never did post rubble or "after pics"- it became embarrassing how long it took.

If you clicked on the link, which I ALWAYS do, as I'm a compulsive clicker, you saw:

1. The fugly taupe colored walls that were actually painted-over paper.
2. The equally fugly sconces that were missing a few teeth.
3. The messed-up logic that would prompt a person to place a large vanity on either side of the toilet.
4. A rusty "heater" instead of the usual exhaust fan over the tub.

You probably did not see the ugly vinyl floor, the hideous medicine cabinets that they PAINTED AROUND, the ugly vinyl "tub surround".

Every morning, I'd take a shower and mentally remodel the bathroom. I'd lament the fact that it would take way, way more than a couple of coats of paint and new towels and that it would cost lotsa money. (Because "lotsa" is a very sophisticated financial term.) We happened to come into some estate money and decided to use some of it to redo the bathroom. We got names of plumbers, tile guys, electricians. Some of the work, Mr. T was able to do himself- like the demolition. He was also able to install a new window and fix the holes in the walls with his weight in joint compound. And he painted.

At the end of February, complete and total demolition. I mean to the point that when I opened the bathroom door and looked at our exposed pipes and 90 year old insulation falling out of the gaping hole in the wall, I almost hyper-ventilated.

Here 'tis in the beginning stages: (yes it's a movie, not because I wanted a movie, but because I sometimes overestimate my ability to use my own digital camera.)














And here's some more destruction:













A close-up of the drain and pipes for the new toilet, which was re-located:











We had to bathe in the basement shower, which is gross, since we don't have a finished basement in our home that was built in 1914. We said goodbye to the old bathroom in early March. Buy May we were able to bathe upstairs once again. We had a wonderful plumber who is not afraid of the challenge of working on an old house and has respect for the workmanship and is resigned to meeting a few "surprises" once the floor gets ripped up and everything's exposed. We had a great tile guy- moonlighting from his job with Big Corporate Carpet People. He tiled all around the tub and then also the floor, which we did in small, hexagonal black and white tile. Stay tuned for the "after" pics next Sunday Snapshot.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pissed Off said...

We did over both bathrooms and a kitchen-it was a nightmare because my house is also very old.

Luckily, my basement is finished so the downstairs shower was not so awful. Using the bathroom at night was a pain.

I also took lots of before and ffter pictures.

Good luck.

1/13/2008 5:57 PM  
Blogger Bellezza said...

Oh, you bring memories of my ENTIRE summer and fall. I'd like to say it's all worth it, which in theory it is, but...it's a bit tedious working through the renovations, is it not? I'm looking forward to the 'after' shots.

1/13/2008 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Wow, that's a big project! Can't wait for the "after" photos. :)

(We need to redo both of our bathrooms. They are completely disgusting and all wrong. So wrong that at one point, perhaps twenty years ago when the second bathroom was plopped helter-skelter in upstairs, they actually cut a hole in our WALL so the toilet tank would fit. Umm....)

1/14/2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

I can't wait to see the after pix!

1/14/2008 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home