Chuchería

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Biggest Loser

In November, the lovely Dolce presented us with the Japanese Literature Challege. Up for a challenge, intrigued by many of the titles, I did not, in fact even come close to completing. I hang my head in cyber shame.

But, if I were to read 3 of the titles, these would be my choices:

"Toru Okada, perhaps a modern Japanese Everyman, tried to find meanings in bizarre yet everyday events. The novel interlaces references to the present with alternative realities, including memories of an aged WWII soldier."
















"The first person narrator is a sort of Holden Caulfield in his irreverent view of Japanese High School and society in 1969. A humorous and self-deprecating view of a seventeen year old boy's world."














"In this series of autobiographical and reflective essays, Mori reflects on her experiences in Japan and in the American Midwest. Her topics range from family to school to language and a woman's place."






In April, my book club will choose books for the next year. I think I'll pick one of these. I still intend to read them, it just didn't happen within the time of the challenge. It did broaden my horizons and give me the chance to talk books with one of my really cool, really smart students who had read something by Murakami. We discovered that there is more than one Murakami. I think we actually impressed each other. And that's something, isn't it?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bellezza said...

Don't hang your head in cyber shame, my friend! Your three titles look so interesting, and there's always tomorrow. I'm glad you expressed an interest, and I'm going to keep a record of these books you've posted about for my future devouring. Who knows, I may host another Japanese Challenge at another time...

2/02/2008 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home