Chuchería

Friday, January 25, 2008

Random Act of Bravery

I was going to do a big long post about the students' variety show at school last night, but I am in the midst of my first slumber party - on the other side, anyway. I will just tell one small bit of it.

Last year at the beginning of the year "welcome back" meeting, our principal explained to us that we would be getting a new student, a freshmman, who had a genetic disorder that left him without any hair. In spite of our school's "no hat" policy, this kid would have a special pass to wear a hat all the time. (We do the same for kids who've had chemo. I'm happy to say there haven't been too many of them.) So, he came last year- and he's the coolest kid- really smart but kinda edgy. He plays in the school band- electric guitar in the jazz band as well as in a rock band with his friends. In last year's variety show, the rock band played and afterwards, he and the other members of the band actually scored some groupies.

Last night, I braved the below zero temperatures and bundled up my daughters and went to the variety show, which was amazing. Such incredible talent these kids have, and they don't even realize it. The show choir performed, the different bands played (jazz, stage, symphonic, wind ensemble...) I was looking at my program during one of the songs and looked up and was trying to see if there were any of my students up there. I saw a kid with glasses and a shiny, bald head. It took me a minute to realize that it was this kid. My eyes filled up with tears- not because I feel sorry for him because he has no hair, but because he felt comfortable enough to appear in front of an auditorium full of people without his trusty hat. What a brave thing for a 15 year old boy to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. G. said...

That would make me tear up too. No doubt about it.

1/25/2008 8:45 PM  
Blogger Adeline said...

I am glad to hear it too...when I saw our hs kids playing with their amazing talent (we have an incredible band leader woman) and their voices and how hard it is for them to get up in front of the whole student body to perform, I tear up too. I am glad I am not alone.

1/25/2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger Professor J said...

Good young man.

1/26/2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

My very first year in seventh grade I had Stephen who had a similar condition and was also allowed to wear a hat to school. He had hair, but it was in blotches and was very patchy. When he went to High School, he decided he'd had it with the hats and started shaving his head bald. Talk about watching a kid blossom! He came by one day to pick up his little sister and I couldn't believe how great he looked - he stood proud, tall, and was so confident. I told him he looked like the lead singer of one of my favorite bands, Midnight Oil. He thought that was a hoot.

1/28/2008 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home