Chuchería

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Saturday Soapbox



I've mentioned before that I'm a Brownie leader. In fact, this is the 5th year that I've been involved with Girl Scouts in any kind of a leadership capacity. I am all for organizations that promote "girl power". I like that GSA wants girls to be independent thinkers, socially conscious responsible citizens.
Are you sensing a big but here? Not a big butt, but a but? Because it's here, my friends. It's here.
It's about the cookies. The cookies themselves are tasty and practically sell themselves, and, unlike Boyscout popcorn, they are relatively inexpensive. A person can get by with spending only $3.50. It's the sale of the cookies that I have a problem with. There is this HUGE emphasis placed on the selling of the cookies and I just don't feel right about having the girls get out there and pimp product for an organization. I've even heard other leaders talk about the girls not meeting their quota. Wha....? I know that fundraising is inherent to participating in a not-for-profit organization, but I am bothered by it anyway.
At the end of the school year, my co-leader and I will pass the torch to whoever wants it, and I fear that no one does. I am incredibly burnt out on the leadership and organizational aspects of being the actual leader. I'll come to any and all meetings and will help out in whatever capacity, but I don't want the burden of being the one in charge any longer.
That being said, have you ordered your obligatory box of Thin Mints this year? Only one more week and the sale is officially over....

3 Comments:

Blogger HappyChyck said...

In this big, bad scary world, kids are discouraged from going door-to-door to sell things, so they have to just sell to friends, family and parents' co-workers. What if you're the poor kid whose parents don't have many connections? I guess your life sucks when you go the the meeting the the leader is putting pressure on you. That makes Girl Scouts fun, aye?

BTW, I'm super impressed that you've been a leader for so long. I've always wanted to get involved because Girls Scouts was a great program for me, but THE TIME! The PRESSURE ACK!

1/20/2008 7:29 AM  
Blogger Miss Profe said...

The cookies do sell themselves. I remember as a wee Brownie, my parents basically sold the cookies; they took the sales sheets to work with them. They did, however, allow me to sell to well-known neighbors on our street.

The cookies, however, IMHO, aren't as tasty as they used to be. But, I will buy a box or two. After all, it is for a most worthy cause, and, I am still a Girl Scout at heart.:)

Mad props to you for being a GS leader.:)

1/20/2008 11:16 PM  
Blogger Professor J said...

When I was a girl scout, the girls themselves benefited from the sales. I went to camp several years with the scholarships I earned by selling cookies. My mother couldn't have afforded it otherwise, so we were happy to do it.

I have wondered about it these days--about how much fun it is when you can't go door to door and the girls don't get a discount for camp or anything.

That said, the scouts rock! Thanks for being a leader, Mrs. T.

1/21/2008 6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home