Chuchería

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Teacher Talk Tuesday

True Confession: I got kinda snippy with the secretary in the main office today. Bottom line is that I chose to use our old, reliable, sooo much better grading program as opposed to the awkward, horrible, unreliable piece of crap grading program we are supposed to use so that parents can check up on their kid every waking hour of the day.I had originally intended to use both programs and double post everything. Then it was December and , well, yeah. I didn't get things posted on the crappy program, but I did get my semester grades posted last Friday. A parent called and wanted to see alllllll her son's grades (he got an A, what does she want???). I said I'd email her the other report (same info. different format). The secretary got very By the Book with me and said "Well! I was told that everyone is supposed to use this program." Who cares. I said that I was told the same thing, but.... oh well.

On a different note, since our school is hopping on the High Schools That Work bandwagon, I will be attending the national conference in Nashville this summer- July 9-12. Anyone else going to be there? We could ditch the sessions and go hang out hook up and grab lunch or coffee or something.

9 Comments:

Blogger NYC Educator said...

I've no doubt your school pays you a hefty stipend for performing this extra service.

1/22/2008 9:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Oh yes, and I get a goody bag, too! It's JUST LIKE going to the Academy Awards!
Actually, it's an all-expense paid trip and I wouldn't do it otherwise.

1/22/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. G. said...

I can not tell you how much I hate posting grades and assignments online. It just feels like one more chore. I am notorious for falling behind.

1/23/2008 12:24 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

I'm sorry your grade program is awful. We use a decent program that allows us to easily upload, and I really like the idea. It takes less than a minute. We consider posting grades a parent contact and the first thing the counselor will ask the parent when the parent is complaining about now knowing is if he/she has been checking weekly grades. The students also have access to their grades, so they don't have to constantly ask what their grades are. (Although, they still do...) We are only obligated to post once a week, which I think is adequate more than enough. Grades don't fluctuate that much in a week's time.

1/23/2008 8:09 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Bluebird said...

Well heck. I live right near there and if I wasn't most likely going to be up North teaching summer camp, I'd come on down and say high and take ya'll out for some BBQ!

1/23/2008 5:34 PM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

Mrs. G- so glad to hear I'm not alone!

Happychyck- I am so completely on board with posting grades on line and having them available for parents- it's just that we have a better program that we were already using and then were told we had to use this other one. Rebel that I am, I used the old one. This term, I think I'll play ball with them. But I'm not gonna like it!

Mrs. Bluebird- we'll play it by ear, how's that? Maybe you'll be around and then I'd LOVE to go have some BBQ with you! I have fond memories of eating at the BarbieCutie in Murphrysburg(?- or maybe Clarksville...) when my husband and I were driving through Tenn.

1/23/2008 7:15 PM  
Blogger damelafuerza said...

Is the crappy program called Engrade? Oooooh how I loathe it.

1/24/2008 7:29 AM  
Blogger Mrs. T said...

damelafuerza- No, it's called ESIS. It is the bane of my existence.

1/24/2008 3:48 PM  
Blogger abernier said...

Oh well, I'm a middle-school teacher, so I won't be going to Nashville; otherwise I'd love to hang out. I've been reading your blog for close to a year now, and I feel as you do on many many issues, both teaching-related and political, so I think we'd have fun! If you're ever in Ann Arbor, MI, though, let me know!

1/25/2008 11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home