Chuchería

Thursday, January 10, 2008



Thirteen Books I've Not Read, But Are Stacked Next to My Bed:

1.


I have read the first 2 "Big Stone Gap" books and quite liked them. This particular book intrigues me because it takes place in Roseto, Pennsylvania. This is a real place- just adjacent to Bangor, where my father grew up.





2.

The only thing I know about this book is that it appears to have J.K. Rowling's seal of approval on the front cover and that it's about a young British girl. The back cover reports that "it tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra and her family, who live in not-so-genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls, and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has "captured the castle" - and the heart of the reader- in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments." Doesn't it sound delightful?


3.


I read "Good in Bed" and liked it in spite of the snobby little angel on my shoulder who poo-pooed this book as schlocky Chick Lit. I'll knock her little winged ass into next Sunday next time.







4.
Years ago I read "Snow Falling on Cedars", but regrettably remember very little about it. This is about a teenage girl who claims to see the Virgin Mary and the community's reaction to her claim.






5.




I bought this one for a song after its being recommended to me. It sounds good, but a bit like "Fried Green Tomatoes". Those of you who've read it, am I right?







6.


I TRIED to read this book a while ago and just couldn't do it. It was a selection for the All Iowa Reads movement one year. From what I gather, it is appreciated more by older people. I like its premise, which is a letter from an elderly father to his young son. But I found it to be wordy to the point of tedium.




7.


You've heard of books being dog-earred? Well this book is cat-earred. Or toothed. Mushy wants us to get up at the ass crack of dawn and has learned that chibbling our books and photos and magazines will often cause us to spring out of bed. I, however, refuse to cave to such negative behavior and kick him out of the room until we are good and ready to get up. The book itself? I want to read it-esp. after "Snowflower and the Secret Fan"


8.




I read "Ellen Foster" and absolutely loved it. I picked this up at the Goodwill for a whopping 88 cents. Looks good, although it seems as though the movie was panned. Anyone see it?




9.







Passed on to me by dear friends of similar mindset. I love Craig Ferguson and his Scottish accent is yummy.



10.



I know I read this in middle school, along with "The Member of the Wedding"- who could forget that "we of me" speech? It was on t.v. - broadcast as a stage play. It had some tomboy actress with a large jaw- she was really good. This book was another Goodwill bargain. I don't care if it has Oprah's stamp on the front. I know it's a good book regardless.


11.



I read "Yo!" and "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" and have seen the movie "In the Time of Butterflies". Curious to see how this one is.






12.


Recommended to me by a book club friend. I'd never heard of Kate Atkinson before.









13.



Currently reading for my book club. I'm having trouble getting into it- too many names, it's not hooking me right away.

2 Comments:

Blogger Professor J said...

Looks like some good bedside reading. My mother was absolutely nuts about *I Capture the Castle.* I read it when I was a girl, and I don't remember much of it.

1/11/2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger HappyChyck said...

I read Memoirs of a Geisha so many years ago, and I've been hoping that the author would write another one. After 10 years, I should probably give up on that hope, aye?

I went through a Kaye Gibbons phase quite a few years ago, too, where I just couldn't get enough. I just love her easy-going style and her compelling characters.

I'm stealing a few of your bedside reads because lately I just can't choose books for myself.

BTW, the last good read I had (recommended from a colleague) was Kite Runner. I thought it might be difficult to get into, but I just sat down and never stopped until I finished. And the next time you want to read some chick lit, which is a genre that is not as good as it once was, I enjoyed P.S. I Love You. I had to tuck myself away to read it, though, because I cried throughout the entire book...and then I called my friend and asked her why she gave it to me...but it was good.

1/12/2008 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home