Chuchería

Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Breakthrough

Yesterday, I totally blew up at my feral class. I had repeatedly asked them to be quiet and then finally had to raise my voice, which I really don't like to do in the classroom. I told them if they weren't functional enough to be able to conduct themselves in a Spanish I class, I'd make arrangements for them to go elsewhere and wouldn't that be pathetic? I told them that most of them were taking the class to fulfill college entrance requirements and if they had any notion of behaving themselves the way they have been in my class, they could think again, that they would be made fun of in college. Oh, I was on a rant. I thought for sure I'd suffer for it later.

But, you know what? They bought it. Surly kids were all of a sudden nicer to me, asking appropriate questions, exhibiting wonderful behavior. It's amazing- I've seen it happen many times- especially with my tougher kids- the tougher I get, the more respect they have for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I let my COLLEGE composition class have it yesterday. I'll post about it at teacherseducation later today...

2/26/2008 7:07 AM  
Blogger Adeline said...

Glad I am not the only one singing the eyebrows of kids that measure my patience out. and while i basically prefer to teach without ever raising my voice, every now and then calling them to task actually seems to work okay. glad it worked out.

2/26/2008 10:31 PM  
Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

I had the same issue with my albatross class aka 6th period. This time it was 6 students and not three...

They be dead meat...

3/03/2008 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home