Chuchería

Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's not just cold......


It is Sofa King cold here. We've not had a winter like this since, oh, I'd say 1979. The natives all talk about that winter- it was very, very snowy and very, very cold for a looooooong time. We even made national news that year, when a blizzard forced the closure of Interstate 80, leaving people stranded. The people who lived close by rescued them on snowmobiles and even let them stay in their homes until it was safe for them. I wonder if anything like that would happen now, almost 30 years later. Would you open your home to complete strangers? Would you stay in a stranger's home? I like to think that I would be open to helping people in need, but to let them into my home? Let them sleep here? It would be a leap of faith, that's for sure. You know, there's the story in the Bible about the Good Samaritan- I love it. I love the idea of helping people. But. There's also the idea of self-preservation and safety and protecting one's family. I do tend to have a sixth sense about people and I'm usually right. I guess I'd stay in a stranger's home under those circumstances if it was between that or freezing to death.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adeline said...

video is hilarious.

I think its safe to say that sketchy folks are usually easy to spot.

2/22/2008 8:33 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Our wicked winter was the year before, '78. I don't have a lot of memories of my childhood, but I remember THAT...

2/23/2008 7:06 AM  
Blogger Professor J said...

Good, good question. I'd have trouble with that one, too. But remember Katrina? Folks were opening their homes then, so it might still happen.

2/25/2008 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home